orangeCREAMsicALE, finally kegged and finalized!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
IMAG0052.jpg

Ive gotten a TON of PMs about my orangeCREAMsicALE recipe and how to brew it.

Ive finally tasted the beer and Im satisfied and ready to share the beer! My only complaints are it's not as clear as I would have hoped and not as light as I would have hoped. Im sure a cold crash and some Irish Moss would fix that up.

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Grains:
6.50 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (1.7 SRM)
0.75 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

Additions:
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min)
3.00 items Orange Juice (Boil 30.0 min)
3.00 items Orange Zest (Boil 30.0 min)
6.00 oz Orange Blossom Water (Boil 0.0 min) [flameout]

Yeast:
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Beer Profile
Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.30 %
Bitterness: 15.0 IBU
Calories: 199 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.8 SRM
Actual Color: ~7.5 SRM

Single Infusion, Light Body
60 min Mash In Add 10.94 qt of water at 165.3 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.00 qt of water at 202.4 F 168.0 F

The beer is delicious, one of the better beers Ive made and it's a huge hit with everyone who's tried it. It has a nice aroma of orange, really adds to the flavor of the beer. It's very smooth, almost a silky mouth feel (glad I threw in those oats) and the Saaz go great in it, though Im a fan of Saaz in general.

Enjoy!

I whipped up a batch of this Friday night. Smelled great!

I do wonder, though; why such an early addition on the orange blossom water? It seems to me that most of the aromatics would boil off. I couldn't detect much bitter orange bloom scent on the wort at the end of the boil.

Well, #uck me sideways.

I wrote the recipe from my notes, and my notes say what time in the boil I added the additions, not how long to boil. My mistake. I did manage to no screw up the hops... whatever, my mistake sorry.

The blossom water should be added at flameout. While I'm sure you didn't lose too much aroma or add any wrong flavors to the beer. If you feel it'd be better to have more blossom aroma, throw a cup with an ounce or so of the water in the microwave. Cover and bring to a boil. Cool it down and just pitch in the fermenter to add some more aroma.

I've made the change to the recipe, again, sorry for the confusion.

No big deal. I've done this enough to know better, but i didn't put it together that the orange blossom water imparts no flavor, only aroma until after I'd already added it to the kettle.

I ended up with an obscene amount of zest and juice from the jumbo navel oranges I used, so I figure it'll be fine.

I did add a touch of lactose at the end, as i figured the orange juice would add a tart twang after the sugars ferment out, so I didn't follow your recipe exactly regardless ;-)

No big deal. I've done this enough to know better, but i didn't put it together that the orange blossom water imparts no flavor, only aroma until after I'd already added it to the kettle.

I ended up with an obscene amount of zest and juice from the jumbo navel oranges I used, so I figure it'll be fine.

I did add a touch of lactose at the end, as i figured the orange juice would add a tart twang after the sugars ferment out, so I didn't follow your recipe exactly regardless ;-)

Interesting, let me know how it turns out! I felt I had enough sweetness with the honey malt and the silkiness from the oats. Im always looking for way to make the recipe 'better' though I havent had one person drink it yet and tell me they dont love it, I must be off to a good start.

Im going to play with a London Ale yeast and Kolsch yeast soon here.

Latest posts

Back