Idea: Nut Blonde Ale (curious to get impressions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I listened to the Can You Brew It episode on Flossmoor's Pullman Brown Ale last night, and the discussion about Simpsons Golden Naked Oats got me thinking about an experiment. Those oats supposedly provide an intense nutty flavor, yet are 10L. My thought was it would be fun to try to make a nut blonde ale. In other words, go for a nutty flavor like a typical brown ale, but attempt to make it on the lighter end of the SRM spectrum.

My first question is whether anyone is aware of a recipe along these lines? Second, I wonder if it could be done? Seems like a recipe could go as follows:

Grain

57% Pale 2-row
25% Munich
10% Golden Naked Oats
5% Victory
3% Pale Chocolate

OG ~ 1.050

Hops (cribbed from the Moose Drool clone)
1.4 oz E Kent Golding 4.45 AA at 60 min = 27 IBU
0.6 oz Willamette at 10 min
0.6 oz Liberty at 0 min

Yeast

Wyeast 1968 or WLP002

Just brainstorming. Curious if anything like this has been attempted before, and also what people think of the proposed recipe.

That's looking like more of an amber. I would probably use Vienna instead of Munich and use half as much. Increase the victory and cut out the pale chocolate. you could even cut out the vienna/munich, use more 2-row, and add a small amount or aromatic or melanoidin malt. Good idea though, if you can make that nuttiness come through in a pale I think you'd really have something.

That's looking like more of an amber. I would probably use Vienna instead of Munich and use half as much. Increase the victory and cut out the pale chocolate. you could even cut out the vienna/munich, use more 2-row, and add a small amount or aromatic or melanoidin malt. Good idea though, if you can make that nuttiness come through in a pale I think you'd really have something.

Yeah, you're right about the color. I entered the original recipe into Beersmith and got a 13 SRM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to tweak this a bit and do an experimental batch. If it turns out, I'll post back on the board. Seems like it would be a fun head fake, sort of along the lines of a schwarzbier.

Latest posts

Back