I decided to try my hand at harvesting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alterosity

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my first batch to properly bottle condition. So I crack open my last bottle of Bell's Expedition Stout. As I'm decanting, I notice the sediment and think; 'wait a minute, I can't let that go to waste!' I leave about a 1/4" of beer in the bottle, and pour in about 3oz of tap water and swirl. I dumped the concoction into a mason jar, sealed, and threw it in the fridge.

But a few minutes later, I found myself dying to try making a big culture out of the sample, so I go to work.

Starter:
1/2lb DME
1/2gal tap water

Bring water to boil, add DME. Cool to 67 degrees. Decant to growler, add yeast sample, and shake vigorously. Cap with a layer of tinfoil.

This was my first one, so I decided to play it safe by giving the beasties lots of room and food to plunder. I did all this about 5 hours ago.

Here's the growler now:

View of the bottom:

Growler cap beside to show scale:

Wow! I head no idea it would go this fast! And I got so little sediment from that bottle too! Is this what I should expect from bottle harvests in general?

If your pictures worked I would say, AWSOME MAN! but they dont work

Yes, everything I have bottles harvested has gone great as long as I stepped it up alot.

If your pictures worked I would say, AWSOME MAN! but they dont work

Yes, everything I have bottles harvested has gone great as long as I stepped it up alot.

Hah, you got me while I was fixing the code. I was actually hoping this would take awhile to develop. My frozen yeast equipment is still on its way here. :drunk:

And now they work. Yes. that is what happened with almost all my harvested. There is a link, here on a better way to harvest

The infamous Pacman yeast! It's funny that I bought a bottle of Rouge Mocha Porter expecting to do this. It makes the $6 22oz beer a great value (reusable bottle, yeast, and great beer).

Before long, I'll have the 15 varieties I'm shooting for. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back