How do I handle the Coriander & Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My plan on this (AG) batch is to drop them in with about 20 minutes of boil remaining. Should I filter them out of the wort when I tansfer to the primary? I'm not sure I have a lot of choice, and this is my first Wit.

Thanks.

BierMuncher said:
My plan on this (AG) batch is to drop them in with about 20 minutes of boil remaining. Should I filter them out of the wort when I tansfer to the primary? I'm not sure I have a lot of choice, and this is my first Wit.

Thanks.

Good luck filtering out the coriander. I would definitely TRY to get as much out as possible, but it won't hurt if it stays in.

When we did Sorachi Saison, we only put them in for 20 minutes. We crushed up the Coriander (don't think you'll get much out of whole coriander). Damn, I hate making orange zest. Are you using fresh, or buying in a pack?

We didn't fliter anything out, just hoped it went to the bottom during racking time. Worked out fine, no wierd flavors for us.

jezter6 said:
Damn, I hate making orange zest. Are you using fresh, or buying in a pack?

We didn't fliter anything out, just hoped it went to the bottom during racking time. Worked out fine, no wierd flavors for us.

I bought a pack of dried Orange Bitter Zest.

I usually use a straining cloth wrapped around my wort chiller to avoid the trub, so I am likely to filter out the coriander and orange. So I am okay with havin them just in the boil...like hops?

I brewed the Blue Moon clone last night.

It worked well to use a fine cheese grater to grate the zest off the orange. When I was done there was enough pith left on the orange to peel it. I think I got mostly zest and not very much pith.

FWIW, I got just about an ounce of zest from a single medium orange.

I added the coriander and orange with 5 minutes left to boil. I left them in. I didn't strain them out. The fermentation smells awesome.

I brewed a modified version of the Blue Moon clone today, added 2 lbs 6-row, 1 pound flaked oats to the grist, and then half the corriander and orange in final 10 mins and then added some grapefruit zest in with the second half of the corriander and orange in the last 5 mins of the boil.
We used an auto siphon from keggle to primary, not the smoothest transfer ever, but it got the job done. We filtered through a strainer, seamed to remove a decent amount of the corriander, but the large rehydrated orange peel was left behind in the brew keggle.
Completely forgot about putting "grain bag" bag around the chiller and then siphoning from inside the bag, would have been much better.

I brewed a modified version of the Blue Moon clone today, added 2 lbs 6-row, 1 pound flaked oats to the grist,

That's interesting because the original supposedly has some oats in it. How did it sparge ? Why did you use 2 row ? What was your SG ? I was about 1.05.

and then half the corriander and orange in final 10 mins and then added some grapefruit zest in with the second half of the corriander and orange in the last 5 mins of the boil.

Why grapefruit ? Thats wild ! Isn't homebrewing great !

We used an auto siphon from keggle to primary, not the smoothest transfer ever, but it got the job done. We filtered through a strainer, seamed to remove a decent amount of the corriander, but the large rehydrated orange peel was left behind in the brew keggle.

Why were you interested in removing them ? The fermentation process will blow out a lot of the flavor and aroma. I think the next brew I do like this, I am going to add such ingredients to the secondary ! Hmmm....

I did a cranberry a few weeks back. Steeped them in the mash and transferred them into the primary. Let it sit 3 weeks too. Zero off flavors, it cleared up nicely. I think its going to be a great brew. I'll let you know in a week.

brewman ! said:
That's interesting because the original supposedly has some oats in it. How did it sparge ? Why did you use 2 row ? What was your SG ? I was about 1.05.

I checked the orginal and it does not have oats in it. After doing some research into wits, they classically tend to have some oats in them, so we added them in. We added some 6 row (not 2 row which was alread in the grist list) for the high enzyme power and the added grain husks for the sparge. Our original gravity was about 1.062 (slighly out of style for this beer).

Our sparge went with out a hiccup. We also added 1/2 lbs of rice hauls to help the flow. We do a batch sparge in a coverted 10 gal cooler MLT.

brewman ! said:
Why grapefruit ? Thats wild ! Isn't homebrewing great !
because we had one lying around. My brew buddy had the idea, so he zested the whole thing and in it went. Smelled great.

brewman ! said:
Why were you interested in removing them ? The fermentation process will blow out a lot of the flavor and aroma. I think the next brew I do like this, I am going to add such ingredients to the secondary ! Hmmm....
We removed them out of habit, we still have more so we can do a taste test and add into the secondary if we need to...

Blue Moon is a somewhat typical example of a Belgian wheat ale. The beer is orange-amber in color with a cloudy appearance due to the fact that it is unfiltered. It is also spiced with coriander and orange peel in addition to the hops found in most beers. Blue Moon does have a more pronounced orange flavor than many other beers of the style. The grain bill for Blue Moon includes malted barley, white wheat, and oats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon_(beer

i was referring to the recipe that you have linked to in your signature after "blue moon clone"

edit: oh i see, I got a little confused......when you said "the original" you ment the true Blue Moon... cool, i guess i made a good decision then

cheers

I'll just add that I used grapefruit as well. And blood oranges.

Do NOT overzest! I did it, and my Saison is extremely zesty. I went overboard. Next time I'll cut down.

I also used too much hops, so it's a bit too bitter. ;/

I stuck with the 3/4 Oz of (crushed) coriander and Orange Bitters.

I added with 20 minutes left in the boil and they were left behind in the boil pot.

Turned out perfect. Spot on for a Blue Moon clone. Actually a little zesty the first week, then as they aged (in the keg) the flavors melded.

My SWMBO who is strictly a BMC drinker sort of likes my Kolsch. But this brew, towards the end, I'd find here sneaking down to the keg and drawing off a half glass pretty frequently.

She loves my Wit. I just ordered supplies for two more batches. THis will be a house favorite.

Latest posts

Back