Help me use my new ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHairyHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished programming my STC-1000 to be 1000+ and set up my new ferm chamber last week. I've avoided Belgian and German style beers because of the lack of true temperature control. But now that I have the ability, I'd like to make a beer that requires strict temperature control.

The only catch is that I'd prefer to make something that doesn't need to be aged or lagered for weeks/months. Does anyone have a recipe or suggestion? I was thinking a lighter Dubbel could be the ticket. :mug:

Any dubbel will be better after a couple months of aging. How about a belgian pale ale, the dekoninick yeast is seasonal right now, and that only requires a few weeks of lagering/cold conditioning after fermentation.

If thats too much, How about a hefe or dunkelweiss at 62 degrees? They really are alot better with temp control. Almost everything else german is going to require a month of lagering or cold conditioning at least.

You could make a Belgian Saison and program a ramp from high 60s to low 90s, if you have a fermwrap or other heating element you could toss in the chamber. All beers improve by controlling the fermentation temperature, in my opinion.

I've posted a hefe, saison, and dark belgian strong recipes that have turned out great. The BSDA even tastes great after 2 weeks in the bottle, but it definitely has improved with age. One of the saisons I ramped past body temperature (like mentioned above), so that could be a good use for your new toy. The hefe was a big seller with the BMC crowd at a wedding I had a chance to cater.

hefe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/fruit-loops-hefe-499587/

BSDA
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/rhymes-like-dimes-bsda-498380/

saisons
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/no-rye-more-reason-saison-507755/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/global-warming-saison-498466/

Dunkelweiss: 1.050ish, 60-70% wheat malt. 1-2% debittered black malt such as carafa 2-3 special or midnight wheat to hit desired srm, remainder 30-40% a mix of continental Munich I and II malts.

Mash 110-131-152. (or just 152 if you dont do step mashes)

13 IBU of a clean bittering. Use a small amount of noble hops in the last 10 minutes if you feel that you have to.

ferment with 3068 (classic clove/bannana) or 3638 (clove/bannana/vanilla/plum -- the schnieder strain) at 62 degrees.

Just finished programming my STC-1000 to be 1000+ and set up my new ferm chamber last week. I've avoided Belgian and German style beers because of the lack of true temperature control. But now that I have the ability, I'd like to make a beer that requires strict temperature control.

The only catch is that I'd prefer to make something that doesn't need to be aged or lagered for weeks/months. Does anyone have a recipe or suggestion? I was thinking a lighter Dubbel could be the ticket. :mug:

I agree w/ either a Belgian Pale Ale or Saison. You might also consider a Kolsch.

Dunkelweiss: 1.050ish, 60-70% wheat malt. 1-2% debittered black malt such as carafa 2-3 special or midnight wheat to hit desired srm, remainder 30-40% a mix of continental Munich I and II malts.

Mash 110-131-152. (or just 152 if you dont do step mashes)

13 IBU of a clean bittering. Use a small amount of noble hops in the last 10 minutes if you feel that you have to.

ferment with 3068 (classic clove/bannana) or 3638 (clove/bannana/vanilla/plum -- the schnieder strain) at 62 degrees.
I was thinking of doing this and following this method:

http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=122

in order to accentuate the clove flavor.

I do a ferulic acid rest in the 100-110 range as well. I believe it improves the clove esters (I also decoct, if that really matters). Id always do a 90 min boil. And ferment around 62. This gives me a decent clove/banana balance.

Id be skeptical of underpitching or too high of temp. Stressed hefe yeast makes a banana bomb. And underpitching, can make it not come out dry enough, it needs to be effervescent and refreshing. Maybe a 10-20% underpitch, but anymore would make me nervous. YMMV.

I guess that I didn't think of this before I left for vacation. I left my dunkelweizen fermenting at 62. It's been about ten days. Can I get in trouble leaving the beer at 62 for too long? I'm guessing that I can...

I guess that I didn't think of this before I left for vacation. I left my dunkelweizen fermenting at 62. It's been about ten days. Can I get in trouble leaving the beer at 62 for too long? I'm guessing that I can...

Nah 62 is just fine. It'll tend more towards the clove end of things but it'll be tasty. 10 days its probably 95% done. I'd bump it to 68ish over the next few days to help it finish up

you're right. I've left carboys sitting out for more than 2 weeks before without racking or kegging. I guess now that I actually know what temperature the beer is at, it's a little weird!

Latest posts

Back