Gonna reuse dry hops for bittering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I just finished dry hopping an IIPA with 1oz each of Citra, Amarillo, and Centennial. I'm brewing this Sunday and I just couldn't resist saving all those hops to use again for bittering. (This takes me back to the hop shortage days...)

I dry hopped with pellets, and when I racked the beer out, I poured the hop sludge into a quart ziploc and then froze it. It was just below a quart in total volume.

The average AA% of the three hops is 9.9%. I'll be using these to bitter an IPA, targeting about 65 IBU from the bittering addition. My calculations say I need slightly more than half the hops to achieve this, however, I'm going to add 2/3 just because I'm assuming there's some loss in there.

Could be a bust but oh well. I'll report back with the results.

I've reused hops from a hopback to bitter a second beer. It worked just fine. It did expect some loss of potential IBUs. I think I used 1/4 more than if I had used "virgin" hops.

Hmmm, I'm about ready to dry hop (Palisade and Amarillo), maybe I'll save them to bitter an upcoming ESB

I suppose with the hopback you're definitely losing some bittering potential because you're sending hot wort through the hops. That's gotta isomerize and extract some of the acids. With dry hops there's no isomerization but I wonder if some of the acids/resins escape the hop matter.

I just finished dry hopping an IIPA with 1oz each of Citra, Amarillo, and Centennial. I'm brewing this Sunday and I just couldn't resist saving all those hops to use again for bittering. (This takes me back to the hop shortage days...)

I dry hopped with pellets, and when I racked the beer out, I poured the hop sludge into a quart ziploc and then froze it. It was just below a quart in total volume.

The average AA% of the three hops is 9.9%. I'll be using these to bitter an IPA, targeting about 65 IBU from the bittering addition. My calculations say I need slightly more than half the hops to achieve this, however, I'm going to add 2/3 just because I'm assuming there's some loss in there.

Could be a bust but oh well. I'll report back with the results.

I know this thread is really old, but Kanzimonson what were your results? I am a newbie brewer and was wondering what ingredients I could reuse. My batch that is fermenting now is not being dry hopped, but I was curious to know if the hops from the boil or the grains can be reused or not. If so, would it be better to freeze these items or just keep them sealed in the fridge?

Anyone with any insight on what ingredients can be reused, please respond so I can make some notes moving forward! Thank you everyone!

I ultimately stopped doing this practice. I felt the bitterness results were unpredictable. It's probably still okay for a single or double IPA where you're attempting to get most of your bitterness from late additions, but if you accidentally over-bitter a small beer it's very noticeable.

Don't reuse hops from other parts in the process, and definitely not grains.

Once i reused hops which were frozen for 3 months after I removed them from the fermenter.
The beer tasted disgusting like bitter cardboard. The hops were soaking wet when I put them into the freezer.

Back