First Original - "Snickers" Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsn309

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just recently joined after months of reading and gathering some great advice from others threads.

I got into brewing a few months ago and you could say I've caught the bug, already brewed 5 batches and loving the experience (and having cases of beer in the basement)!

Most of the beers I've brewed so far have been extracts with set instructions (with exception of cider) and varying difficulty. I want to try something original this time.

I'm starting with a True Brew Brown Ale extract kit (because I already have one) that has the following ingredients:

1 can Dark LME
2 lbs Dark DME
Malto-Dextrin 8 oz
UK First Gold Hop Pellets. 1 oz (60 minutes)

I want to try to infuse some chocolate, nutty, and caramel flavors. Hence the name "Snickers" brown ale.

I'm thinking of adding the following:

1/2 lbs Briess Crystal 20
1/2 lbs Chocolate Pale
4 oz Roasted Barley
1 lbs Light Brown Sugar

1 oz Willamette (15 minutes)

I plan to steep the grains in 1 gallon and sparge up to 3 gallons for the boil. Then I'll top off to 5 gallons in the Primary before pitching.

Any suggestions on the additions or amounts of added ingredients?

Are you trying to make a stout or more of a brown ale? I would skip the non barley items. What is the can size and is it hopped?

I'm trying to make more of a brown ale but not concerned if the color ends up dark like a stout.

The LME is unhopped and is 3.3 lbs

I'd cut out the roasted barley (or at least use less) because it will contribute roasty flavors (like coffee). You don't need it for color because you already have dark malt extract and chocolate malt. If you still want it in there, maybe use 2oz instead.

Lol. I remember years ago,one of my first beers was a snickers beer. I added Torini sugar free syrups-chocolate, hazelnut, and caramel. Only problem is I measured in tablespoons where I was supposed to use teaspoons. That batch still haunts me.

Thanks for the suggestion Lester, I want some of the roasty flavors so maybe I'll cut it back to 2 oz.

sfrisby - Did you add the syrups to your secondary? Did you ever get a recipe that worked?

I'd also second dropping the roasted barley. The pale chocolate looks good (make sure it's pale chocolate. If you use regular chocolate malt, 1/2 lb will probably overpower all the other flavors.) For nutty, nothing beats victory malt. Might want to toss 1/2lb in there. Finally, I'd recommend going with a higher lovibond crystal, 40 or 60. 20 will probably not add as much caramel flavors as you want. Other than that, looks good!

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I'm going to remove the roasted barley and add 1/2 lb Victory and 6oz Crystal 60.

I plan on brewing this weekend so I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Cheers!

Just to give an update, I racked this to my secondary last weekend. I added 16oz of cocoa nibs and a vanilla bean, hoping to bring out more of the chocolate flavor. Plan to let it sit for 2 weeks and then bottle. :mug:

Oops, it's actually 8oz of cocoa nibs! 16oz would have been overkill :eek:

I'm excited to see what flavor profiles come through. The color looks great. I was worried with the chocolate it would darken the beer but it still fits a brown ale profile.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

For what its worth....Ive read that cocoa powder gives more of a "Chocolate" flavor than cocoa nibs. The nibs are said to have more of a bitter dark chocolate flavor and have more fat(cocoa butter) left in them which will kill your beers head retention.

Latest posts

Back