Falcons Gyre Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
Brewed 5.5 gallons of this today. This recipe is from Drew Beechum's article "Express Brewing: From Grain to Glass in 6 Days" in the latest Zymurgy. The author says he was serving this at 10 days. :mug:

My LHBS had no Falconer's Flight hops available, so I substituted with Citra. Other than that I stuck to the recipe as intended. This is my first brew with rye in the grain bill.

10lb US 2-Row
2lb Munich Malt
2lb Rye Malt

1oz Warrior (60 min)
1oz Citra (5 min)
1oz Citra (flame out)

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes and 90 minute boil. Pitched US-05 and in the fermentor at 65*F. My OG came in at 1.065 Zymurgy recipe says 1.067 OG.

Excited to have a taste of this one - still unsure of whether or not I'm gonna dry hop it (I have no particular reason that I'd need to be serving in 10 days)

Awesome. What yeast did you use? I brewed a rye pale in September using 1272 and it turned out fantastic.

I picked up some Sorachi Ace and some more Citra today - an ounce of each, with intentions of using them to dry hop this one since I don't have any free kegs just yet.

As I said previously, this is my first brew with Citra and I've never used Sorachi before. Is an oz of each going to be too overpowering? I've heard some things about Sorachi being a bit overbearing..

Well.. I ended up dry hopping this for about 10 days (Lazy!) with an oz of Citra and an oz of Sorachi. Finally got it kegged up and on gas last week. (Lazy again!)

Pulled a pint to sample tonight - talk about citrusy! This is def a hop forward beer but seems to be balancing nicely with just enough spice from the rye, and a little bit of sweetness from the Munich malt coming through to cut a little bit of the citrus hops.

We'll enjoy this one for sure, but I will def be playing around with some different hops/yeasts in this recipe.

Back