English Southern Brown recipie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I'm looking for a SEB recipie that's fairly close to BJCP style. No crazy adjuncts. Big caramel, toffee and dark fruit aroma AND flavor. Somewhat malty and sweet on the finish. Smooth mouthfeel yet I can live without creamy. Low hop bitterness and no roasty flavors or nose.

I've been trolling the internets and nothing jumps out at me. Nutty Man Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles is an option, just have yet to find someone who's made it and can answer some questions.

What yeast you guys suggest? Mash temp? Base malt?

Thanks!

The BCS recipie:

7 lbs Pale Base Malt
16 oz Crystal 80L
10 oz Crystal 120L
8 oz Special Roast 50L
6 oz Pale Chocolate 200L
4 oz Carafa Special II 430L

0.85 oz Kent Goldlings (60 min)

Mash @ 153F

Just been drinking that this evening. I just used the brewing classic styles recipe with the WLP002 fullers yeast. Turned out at 3.7 % which is just the right level for my everyday brews and one of the reasons i brewed it. Went with Maris Otter base malt (Bairds), mash at 153 as per recipe.

Can't say how authentic it really is. I grew up in southern england, about as far south as you can get and we used to get some nice nut brown ales from a local brewery that had been around for 150yrs now sadly closed. If i had to guess i'd say the classic styles recipe is perhaps a little too strongly flavored compared to those but then again i think thats a common thing with american versions of most of these things. Its one of the reasons i went with this style, i like the newkey brown but always seemed a little too bitter for me but then again i was conditioned on some nice smooth nut browns from my youth, so you may have a different take on it.

I liked it and will be brewing again, might drop the special roast and see how it compares.

What yeast you guys suggest? Mash temp? Base malt?

I have used WLP002 and safale 04 both were good. I made 4 batches for a wedding a few years back. It was well received. I mash @ 154 and use MO 2row. I am going to make this tomorrow and will use WLP002 but use
TF-Pearl 2 row.
FWIW: I believe this is bit 'bigger' than normal S. brown. Finishes sweet, some roast, low hop, with a beautiful creamy head. Boil pot to mouth can be under 2 weeks. Plenty of time for Christmas.

Sounds good guys, thanks! Yep I'm ok with more flavor and abv.

Any idea how the flavor profile would change if I subbed American 2-row for Maris Otter?.... or even did 50/50

Back