Chocolate/Coffee Porter (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score

+ 8oz (24 hours COLD BREWED) coffee when bottle priming for taste.

(08/18/2011)
Steeped grains at 170F for 30 mins.
2lb Pale Liquid Extract @ 60mins / 7lb 11.2 oz Dark liquid extract @ 10 mins
Pitched yeast at 96F
Slowly cooled to ferment @ 66F
Measured OG 1.055 @ 98F
Corrected OG 1.060

I'm excited for this one:mug:
criticism is welcome.

Dingemans Biscuit Malt is a toasted Malt that provides a warm bread or biscuit (Saltine Cracker) flavour & aroma. It will also lend a garnet-brown colour. Use 5-15% maximum. No enzymes. so must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power.

Does that mean I shouldn't have used this without mashing, or does my liquid malt extract make up for it? Why is this so?

cold brewed coffee for 11 hours in 47 oz of sterile water. Carbonated to a volume of 2.72. Bottled today. Tastes quite exquisite at bottling. Coffee type was mocha. produced total volume of 22.6 liters.

Holy F@ck this beer is amazing after 9 days in the bottle...I'm sure it will get better. I HIGHLY recommend this recipe. Definitely more of a porter than a stout

Morning Delaney,

I am really interested in trying out this recipe. (In fact I can hardly wait)

I just had a question before I got started (hopefully brewing today)...

Please let me know if I am understanding this properly:
For the liquid extract schedule...
Put hops in ... Wait 10 minutes ... Then Add the dark?
Finish schedule , then at 60 minutes add the pale to finish it ?

I just don't want to make a silly mistake!

Also thinking about adding cocoa powder, any suggestions on that?

Any of your time is highly appreciated !

Cheers,
ROMULAN

No I think I did it the other way around....

Pale liquid = ~1/5 of total extract at the beginning of your 60 minute boil(at 60 mins)
Dark Liquid extrat = ~4/5 of total extract in the last 10 minutes of boil (at 10 mins)

it's a countdown

I can't remember the science behind it but I can tell you that a better quality product will be achieved if you add the majority of your malt extract towards the end of the boil.

Let me know how it turns out...This is the best chocolate coffee porter recipe I've tried.

well... here I am ~ 11 days into the primary ~
everything seems like it is going GREAT!!
smells wonderful and still have some minor bubble activity in my stop...

I will probably be ready to prime and bottle here before Thanksgiving
(Planning day 14) ... I see you went 21 days ? should I hold out ?~

Just had a question in regards to the priming process ~
how much corn sugar did you use in lu with the cold brewed coffee?
( trying to avoid bottle bursting =p )

It's up to you my friend, I've bottled beers in less than 11 days, but if it's not fully flocculated you might get some sedimentation in the bottom of your bottles....If you have sediment in the bottle, you can put the beer in the fridge for a day or two in advance and carefully pour, you should leave most of the sediment in the bottle...It might gross some people out if there is sediment though, personally I don't give a f*ck

I Carbonated to a volume of 2.72...the amount of dextrose to add depends on your total volume. I use Tastybrew's calculator.

Turns out I got really anxious to brew today and didnt have enough carboys and was forced to rack this to a secondary~

I am going to let it sit in the secondary until day 20~

looked/smelled/tasted fine today (day 13)

Started my cold brew coffee today as well ~ might just add it to the secondary along with a nilla' bean !

~ to each their own i guess ~

:drunk:

excited for this one, but have awhile before I can post results !

Turns out I got really anxious to brew today and didnt have enough carboys and was forced to rack this to a secondary~

I am going to let it sit in the secondary until day 20~

looked/smelled/tasted fine today (day 13)

Started my cold brew coffee today as well ~ might just add it to the secondary along with a nilla' bean !

~ to each their own i guess ~

:drunk:

excited for this one, but have awhile before I can post results !
vanilla could be cool!

sounds like you are addicted! hehe, I'm the same way, I like brewing more than drinking. Both are fun, don't get me wrong..

Yesterday:
Day 20

I was thrilled to finally get this into the bottle~
The aroma was tantalizing and quite chocolatey.

I ended up with a little over 2 cases of bottled beer ~
*(side story ~ was using my grandfathers circa 1940's bottle capper and pinched my ring finger quite severely) rusty bucket better not give me tetanus ~

Anyway ~ I was curious what your final gravity reading was on this beer and what the ABV % came out to when you brewed your batch ~

I kinda screwed up and added the priming sugar before taking my reading ... So i think mine was a little off ~
I came up with
never took an OG (didnt have hydrometer @ the time)
f.g 1.027
ABV 4.8%

Because I really wanted the coffee to shine through ~ I used almost triple the amount that you used ~ ~24oz

It tasted very palatable from the testtube sample I took ~
and let me tell you ... after it conditions and has a moment to mellow out, this is going to be very popular!

I appreciate your post!
I encourage others to try this one out !

:mug:
CHEERS,
Romulan42

well if I would have went back and looked ...
You did post your FG ~
would mine be a little high (like it is) because I took reading after adding 4 1/2oz corn sugar :cross:

ehh regardless, thanks for all your help~ I will let you know how it is after conditioning is over !

Not sure about your FG...you need to know the precise volume of your fermented beer to determine what the priming sugar contributed to your FG...Other factors can also affect FG though...

I can check this in a few days time, or you can do so yourself pretty easily with a program called BeerSmith. Free trial...can be tricky to learn how to use but basically u just set the volume of beer, add the only infredient as being 4.5 oz of dextrose, and whatever the OG of that is, is what you should subtract from your FG.

Did you add a vanilla bean to secondary?

4.5 oz of dextrose would add 0.004 to your gravity reading, or 0.4% ABV.

That means your FG was more like 1.023...

have you tried the beer yet?

Well 1.023 would mean your ABV is 4.9%, whereas the recipe projected a FG of 1.014 or 6.1%...

seems like a big difference...are you sure you took the temperature when you took the FG? The gravity reading is temperature dependent...

This was one of the best porters I have ever put my lips on !

I upped the coffee content a little in mine~ and enjoyed it ten fold !

It was very strong at 1st with the coffee flavor... but with any ale... it got better by the day !

I just had one the other night!
the coffee flavor is now very subtle and I am experiencing a vast aray of other flavors !

I will be brewing this one enough to keep it on stock at all times !

I really appreciate your post and you sharing this recipee ...

OH most everyone who tried it ...RAVED over it too !
(had a very nice xmas this year, just sipping it all day long)

I think I'll have to make some more myself shortly...I had the same response from others. Glad it was well received. :mug:
I`m going to try and convert this to AG.

Also, I suggest using good coffee... Blue Mountain Jamaican would do nicely, I`d imagine.

The reviews sound great and I want to try it this weekend. However, I must be missing sometihing. I'm not seeing the ingredient list. Can you re-post them please.

thumb2_chocolate-coffee-porter-stats-64232.bmp

thumb2_chocolate-coffee-porter-ingredients-64231.bmp

I'm gonna have to give this girl a whirl again myself

Just came across this thread and looks like a winner. The pics of the original recipe are gone though. Delaney is your post on 11/23 the same recipe as the original?

Also Steeping at 170? I havent done extract in a long time so I dont remember but I would never mash at 170.

Just came across this thread and looks like a winner. The pics of the original recipe are gone though. Delaney is your post on 11/23 the same recipe as the original?

Also Steeping at 170? I havent done extract in a long time so I dont remember but I would never mash at 170.

Hey,

Yeah the post on 11/23 is the same...The original image got deleted from whatever website or what not it was being hosted on so I had to reupload it upon request.

The 170F steep is because this was an extract with specialty malts brew... There was no mash. I strictly do all-grain now, and so I'll probably try an AG version of this recipe when I get the time... Life kind of gets in the way of brewing lately :(

Please post back here if you make it and let us know how you like it if you do go ahead and make this.

HBS didn't have liquid malt extracts so we used dry. Guess I didn't convert well enough. The brew though looks great.

Cool dude, can't wait to hear how it turns out for you. Inspiring me to whip up another batch

That's a volumous looking kettle you got there... Is it just a garbage can with a stand welded on???

Hey sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question.

I'm not use to the application you used listing the ingredients. I understand most of it, other than the batch size. I see it says 6 gal batch, 2 gal pre-boil ( which I'm assuming is the extracts ).

Does this mean I'm using 4 gallons of water?

Hey sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question.

I'm not use to the application you used listing the ingredients. I understand most of it, other than the batch size. I see it says 6 gal batch, 2 gal pre-boil ( which I'm assuming is the extracts ).

Does this mean I'm using 4 gallons of water?

I believe I was working with a 2 gallon pot at the time, and carboy to 6 gallons at the end. So basically I steeped the specialty grains in that 2 gallons, then dissolved the extract, then diluted to 6 gallons in fermentor vessel. In other words 2 gallons in the pot + 4 additional gallons in the fermentor.

It's been a while though and my memory is hazy.

Back