Brewing an Irish Coffee Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been forever since I last brewed a beer... way too long! I had a kit sitting around, so I decided to go ahead and brew it up. It's an extract/specialty grains kit for an Irish stout. But, I wanted to tweak it a bit to really make it interesting.

Kit ingredients:
  • 2 containers Briess dark malt extract (6.6lbs total)
  • 8oz Chocolate Malt
  • 8oz Roasted Barley
  • 2oz East Kent Goldings hops
  • White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast
The kit had instructions to steep the grains for 45-60 minutes, and add the hops at 60min and 10 min left in the boil.

As for adjustments:

I had some lactose sitting around, nearly 1lb, so I just added that in the last 15-20 minutes of the boil to give the beer some additional body and sweetness.

Since the kit sat around for a while, I tossed the original milled grains and got fresh grains. I still used the 8oz of roasted barley. But, I substituted Carafa III for the chocolate malt to keep the bitterness down.

Lastly, at the recommendation of the shop owner, I added 1lb of white wheat to add even more body and maltiness to the beer. And I'll be adding some cold-brewed coffee in secondary. Probably 16oz of cold-brew using 4oz of coarsely-ground coffee beans.

On a side note, the yeast had also expired, so I built it back up with a 2-step starter. It really needed it!

We'll see how this turns out. I'm not normally an extract brewer, but I'm excited to try it when it's ready!

Sounds great, should have a full body - I like to throw a vanilla pod in my stouts - not sure it would go with the lactose though - a more experienced brewer would know??

Lactose and vanilla should work well in there. I personally use Crisp Pale Chocolate in my stout's. Lots of flavor with less bitterness. I also just throw all my hops in at the beginning of the boil.

Just racked into secondary with some cold-brewed coffee and a pair of vanilla beans. A tiny sip of the leftovers was really tasty.

Details on the cold-brew:
I used 4oz of Peet's Big Bang medium roast whole-bean coffee with about 14oz of water, refrigerated for about 3 days. I poured in what I could. It's amazing how much water those beans soak up. Ended up with maybe 8-10oz of actual coffee in the carboy.

OG in the fermenter was 1.065. FG into secondary was 1.027. ABV is approximately 5%, almost exactly.

Finally got off my butt and bottled this beer yesterday. Tried a sip, and it's really promising. I think it's going to be really delicious! Now, I just have to be patient until it's carbonated... *sigh*

Back