"Can We Brew It" - Stone Levitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyohill

Reaction score
Inspired more by the wonderful and tasty Stone "Levitation" ale than by Jamil & Tasty McDole's radio show my buddy and I are going to take a stab at the Stone Levitation clone. We are going to each brew this beer next weekend on our systems using the same recipes and in 6-8 weeks will taste these alongside some Levitation. I just picked up a sixer of this and "man o' man" this is some tasty and hoppy beer! Looking forward to having a couple cases of this in my cellar!

Now, for the last four of my brews I have gone "no chill" and pitched they day after brewing after the wort came down to pitching temp. Beers have great and I really enjoy the ease of a "no chill" brew day. Part of our comparison is to compare our brew techniques and systems, so I really want to brew this clone "no chill".

For those with some cloning and "no chill" experience I'm wondering if you'd suggest any modifications to the recipe or hopping schedule as offered on the "Can You Brew It" show. I know there has been some discussion concerning hops but didn't seem to find any resolution in any of the "no chill" threads.

The recipe as interpreted from the show and scaled for my 5 gallon counter top system is as follows:

Stone Levitation Clone

OG:1.053
FG:1.015
IBU's: 64
SRM:18

7.81 lbs. of British Crisp Maris Otter (Mash)
.92 lbs. of British Crystal 70-80L (Mash)
.46 lbs. of British Crystal 135-165L (Mash)
.05 lbs. of British Black Patent (Mash)

.42 oz. (11.9g) of Columbus (15%) boiled for 90 minutes.
.85 oz. (24.1g) of Amarillo (7%) boiled for 30 minutes.
1 oz. (28.3g) of Crystal (3.3%) boiled for 20 minutes.
.33 oz. (9.4g) of Simcoe (13%) boiled for 20 minutes.
1.25 oz. (35.4g) of Amarillo (7%) Dry Hop.

Thanks, Dave

So it ends up my LHBS does not have the Crystal 70L-80L or Crystal 135L-165L malts. He only has Crystal 60L and Special B. (See above for recipe)

How would one calculate the proper amounts to sub out these using these crystal malts to most closely match the flavor, color, fermentability etc... that the recipe calls for?

Frankly, I'd just use the same amounts of the malts you have. It won't necessarily be a dead-on clone, but it'll be a beer you'll like. Check out any of the online retailers (I know Brewmasters Warehouse has it) for the British Crystal. I just used British Crystal for the first time, in my ESB, and it does have a different character. Your beer will be good, but you need that malt to really nail that particular flavor.

Just finished the last bottle of my 3 Gallon all grain batch from this recipe. Summary thoughts:

-- The recipe is a winner. Definitely worth trying. My wife actually preferred mine to the original in a side by side blind tasting.

-- I found it hard to match the desired original gravity of the recipe. I came in about .001-to-.005 too low. It probably related to my mashing/later-tun efficiency as I am not really an all-grain brewer, but still, I would suggest to amp up the grain bill across the board per unit of water.

-- No issues with mix of grains or hops bill. I think the splash of black patent is fine. likewise, the hops are very forward/floral/citrus-y "northwest style," but that is part of the recipe.

Back