Brewday.. Hops adjustment needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
I am going to try another attempt at making a stone IPA clone today...

I have two recipes to work from, one is from BYO magazine, and the other from EdWorts recipe posted here...

I plugged EdWorts recipe into Brew Target, using the Alpha Acid percentages listed on the hops packages I have, and the overall bitterness was low.. So I played with the hops to get it right..

Then I started thinking that it's important to make these changes in a way that doesn't mess up the balance of the hop profile...

Trouble is, EdWorts recipe doesn't list the AAU of each hop addition, so it's hard for me to calculate how much to adjust on my end...

His recipe is
10.5# Pale
1# munich
1# crystal 20L
1oz warrior @60
1oz centennial @15
1oz centennial @5
1 oz centennial dry hop
OG1.066

No AAU is listed in the recipe..

However, the BYO magazine goes into more detail with a slightly more complicated Hops schedule..

Theirs is a 90 min boil with
6 AAU Magnum @90
4.5 AAU Perle @60
2 oz (no AAU given) of Centennial @15

and dry hopping with 1 oz centennial whole hops and 0.5 oz of Chinook whole hops...

They list the IBU @ 77 and the OG @ 1.065

I'm tempted to try the BYO schedule, but I don't have any Perle Hops (don't
I don't have any whole hops either for dry hopping, but I have a couple weeks to get them before I keg....

know what to substitute), and I'd still want to do a 60 min version...

Planning on starting the mash around 10AM, so any advice and direction would be much appreciated...
:mug:

Here's what I currently have in Brew Target that gets me to the right OG and IBU using EdWorts recipe and BYO mag's IBU..

11G batch based on 80% efficiency

21# Pale malt (about 4# will be Belgian Pale)
2# Munich
2# Crystal 20L

Mash @ 153 for an hour (thinking of lowering this as the BYU mag says 149)

2.5 oz warrior (@15.8 %, 56.2 IBU) 60 mins
2.5 oz Centennial (@ 8.8%, 15.5 IBU) 15 mins
2.250 oz Centennial (@ 8.8%, 5.6 IBU) 5 mins
Dry Hop w 2oz Centennial ) IBU

for a total of 77.3 IBU, SRM of 6.7 (BYO recipe =7.0 SRM), and OG of 1.066

Comparing the two original recipes, and the hops schedule I have put together, what do you think?

I'd really like to get close as possible to this beer... I just love it...

Back