boneyard recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bela

Reaction score
I just tried some Imperial ipa from boneyard brewery in bend, Or.
That stuff is fantastic!:rockin:

Is there a clone for this?

I love living in Bend. :)

I'll +1 for a clone of this, or the RPM (or is that what you're talking about?). Good stuff.

that's a good one too, but the one I'm talking about is their double ipa called hop venom 10% abv.

The RPM is fantastic. I haven't had the hop venom, but it is on my list to try when it comes in my area. I did read on their website that they use four northwest hop varieties. Perhaps someone could get the skinny on what specific varieties they do use.

I wonder if I have any connections to Boneyard that I don't know about. . . . I know the owners at two other local breweries, but I'm thinking I must be within 3 or 4 degrees of somebody that knows what's up. I'll look into it.

I've had a taster of Hop Venom...very good. My favorite is their "Notorious BIG": it is a 14% ABV Quad IPA. It is very good, not overly sweet or cloying, well balanced for such a monster.

I just visited Boneyard this weekend and talked to the brewer but could not get any specific information other than simcoe, chinook, and centennial hops are used. I would love a more definite recipe for this awesome beer.

I just visited Boneyard this weekend and talked to the brewer but could not get any specific information other than simcoe, chinook, and centennial hops are used. I would love a more definite recipe for this awesome beer.

If you talked to him and couldn't get anything more, I'm thinking we'll have to work it out on our own. I'll head down on Wednesday for a growler ($6 on Wednesdays) and see if I can get anything figured out. I don't think there's much to really worry about on the malt side, just some 2-row and maybe some C40. It's that massive hop nose that I'll bet comes from a huge dose of Centennial dry hops.

That Hop Venom is something else, too . . . but baby steps. :)

I was actually asking about the Hop Venom but I'd like to try the RPM also. I didn't have much time to talk with him so maybe he didn't realize that I was looking for specifics. I hope you have some luck on Wednesday.

No such luck. I got the last growler of RPM before they hung the "Out of Beer" sign, but Brewfest is tomorrow and they're installing their 3 new conicals so nobody was in the brewery, just the server girl. I guess I'm back to my original plan of trying to reverse-engineer it.

Side note - the girl in the shop told me she was optimistic that they'd have Diablo Rojo en Fuego (chili beer) on tap once they get the new system hopping. I fell in love with that stuff, so here's hoping!

HopHead IPA can be found through the BYO database. However the recipe looks a little odd as far as fermentation and FG. I would highly recommend letting warm on the 2nd to or last day of fermentation to get all the way down. Here is the link.
http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/104-india-pale-ale/1910-bend-brewings-hophead-imperial-ipa-clone
As to the RPM i can promise it is heavy on simcoe and a big Cascade or amarillo dry hop. We've been getting their kegs for a while and they have been very grassy to the point of chewing on "nugs" with one. The Simcoe is pretty obvious but the extra grassiness I would say points to a long big dry hop of cascade or amarillo. As to grain I would guess a simple 2 row and c20 with a very good yeast like 001, 1056, or S05.

I was at four brewing company's this weekend on the oregon coast. Had over 20 different samples. Bone yard hop venom double ipa is the bomb!:rockin: Nothing came close in my opinion.

Boy, I tried looking it up on byo.com but nothing came up.
If you haven't tried this your missing out. They sell it in sandy at the beer den.

What breweries were you at? Rogue and Pelican are the only two that I have been to on the coast. I really hope somebody can get something close to this recipe.

We were at three in Astoria and one in seaside. Fort George brewery, Astoria brewery and wet dog cafe brewery all in Astoria and seaside brewery.

The crab and salmon fishing was pretty good too at buoy 10!

Bump. Hop venom is one of the best beers I've had. Got a growler on a cross-country trip through Bend a few years ago, and haven't had it since. I'm curious if anyone has come close to cloning this.

Notorious

2row, hopped with lots of mosaic & citra. My favorite triple by far.

Latest posts

Back