american stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
3 gallon batch AG 90 min boil

6 lbs 2 row
4 oz crystal 120
8 oz black patent
4 oz oat flakes
8 oz roasted barley

.5 oz nugget @90
1 oz fuggle @ 10

061 OG
33 SRM
52 IBU

only thing i might not be feeling is the oats with the big hop. what else can you use for head retention?

...im blindly shooting for victory storm king...

There was a clone recipe in BYO of storm king a while ago (before they rearranged their website at least). Now the link doesn't work....anyone have the issue? I had my first storm king this weekend and I loved it, and I was looking to brew a stout soon anyway.

EDIT: Just found this, not the same recipe though AFAIK, but after some creative googling it's all I could find. Should at least get you close:
This is for 6 Gal, All Grain, 80% efficiency assumed, 1.052, 30.2 IBU
_ 7 lb Pils Malt
- 2 lb German Munich Malt
- .25 lb Aromatic Malt
- .25 German Dark Crystal Malt
- 1 lb Carafa III Dehusked
- .5 oz No. Brewer whole hops @ 7.7 AA 90 min
- .75 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh whole @ 4.4 AA 90 min
- .5 oz Hal. Mittelfruh whole @ 4.4 AA 30 min
- .25 oz Hal. Mittelfruh whole @ 4.4 AA 5 min
Mash in and hold at 126ºF for 30 min, then raise to 140ºF for 10 min , then raise to 151ºF for 60 min, then to 168ºF for 10 min for mash out. I am fermenting with East European Lager yeast, Brewtek CL- 680. Fermentation will be at 50ºF for 7 days, then Diacetyl rest at 60ºF for 2 days, then rack to secondary and drop temp 5ºF per day til beer is at 32ºF and lager at 32ºF for 5-6 weeks.
used WL 820 because I couldn't track down Brewtek CL- 680, Caramunich II for the dark german crystal, and dehusked carafa II instead of III. It came out a little overstrength -- i used a grain bill intended for a six gallon batch to make a five gallon batch. Whole hops from freshops: Northern Brewer and U.S. Hallertauer.
A delicious creamy beer, and the judges at the Knickerbocker Battle of the Brews gave it first place in the Dark Beer category.

Idk how that can be right though, since It only comes out to something like 5.5%, and storm king is 9.1 or 9.3%

...just wondering what makes it an American stout?

Several things, actually. I will point out some things found in American stout which are not found in other Stout styles. First, citrusy, resiny American hops varieties like Cascades and the other "C" hops, often used for flavor and/or aroma. Second, American malts and yeast strains. Third, more complex roasted-malt grists of at least two but often three roasted grains. Fourth, caramel/crystal malts.

American Stouts have complex grists, relative to European stouts like Dry Irish Stout and Sweet Stout. Where classic Dry Irish Stout has three grains in the grist - pale malt, flaked barley, and roasted barley - American Stout might have pale malt, crystal malt, chocolate malt, black patent, roasted barley, and flaked oats.

I often think American Stout has the complex grist of Russian Imperial Stout but without the alcoholic 'oomph'.

Clear as mud?

Bob

I think of American Stout as a RIS without the plum/raisin, alcohol burn, and with American citrusy hops. A well rounded roast with enough crystal to take the bitter astringency out and bring more coffee/cappuccino notes forward. I'd stick with your oat and drop the wheat addition. If you don't want to use oats for whatever reason, go with flaked barley. Will build up mouthfeel and head retention.

BJCP Style Guide says:

Common American base malts and yeast. Varied use of dark and roasted malts, as well as caramel-type malts. Adjuncts such as oatmeal may be present in low quantities. American hop varieties.

I think of American Stout as a RIS without the plum/raisin, alcohol burn, and with American citrusy hops. A well rounded roast with enough crystal to take the bitter astringency out and bring more coffee/cappuccino notes forward. I'd stick with your oat and drop the wheat addition. If you don't want to use oats for whatever reason, go with flaked barley. Will build up mouthfeel and head retention.

BJCP Style Guide says:

Common American base malts and yeast. Varied use of dark and roasted malts, as well as caramel-type malts. Adjuncts such as oatmeal may be present in low quantities. American hop varieties.

i just didnt know if the oats would go well with the extra hops of of the "american stout" storm king is a perfect stout for me...
i originally wanted to go with oats so maybe i'll stick with that then. basically i came up with this recipe from reading other grain bills for stouts and following guidlines that were on my brew program. anything you guys give is a learning experience for me!!! :mug:

well i have to say, i finally switched this over to a secondary ( brewed it on 12/3 so its been in the primary for 4+ weeks) and it was DELICIOUS! i've never loved a beer right out of the primary before. i ended up using a full oz of nugget so the IBU's are actually in the 70's. it has a slight coffee taste with a great mouth feel/aftertaste from the oats. i will be making this again for sure. i am very proud of myself on this one :)

Back