Weight Based Gravity Measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We got on this discussion in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/real-time-fermentation-monitor-85661/index2.html This post contains no new information that isn't in that thread, it just gives me somewhere to document my scribblings without further contaminating an otherwise very scientific thread.

For a summary, I'm using the definition of specific gravity, and so the definition of density, to try to monitor gravity without having to pull a sample of beer. You might be asking yourself "what's the advantage of this?" Well I'm sure that will make itself obvious.

When it does, someone please PM me or something. Maybe it will be a good way to know when fermentation is done, then you can take a sample to get a more accurate FG reading. I dunno, I just want to see the concept work.

In the mean time I picked up a cheap postage scale on ebay with a 76lb capacity and 0.2oz resolution. I weigh the empty fermenter and any blowoff rig or airlock during the boil, then take a gravity after chilling, fill the better bottle, pitch yeast, and weigh the whole thing again. Gravity -> density, and weight/density -> volume. After fermentation, weigh again. Assuming volume stays the same (can anyone confirm that?), then Weight/volume = density -> gravity. Ta Da! Of course I made a handy excel spreadsheet to do the math.

Naturally it is important to not put anything into/take anything out of the blowoff jug or fermenter. Also, I expect some error from things like evaporation of the blowoff jug water, maybe the CO2 still in solution, and I'm sure things I haven't forseen. With any luck, the error will be consistent and predictable in some way.

The first two iterations of this are underway. I brewed a partigyle two days ago. The strong beer measured 1.084 and weighed in at 47.600 lb minus the empty weight, putting the volume at 4.65 gal. About 30 hours later it weighed 46.025 lb which puts the gravity at 1.043 and 47% apparent attenuation.

The weaker beer measured 1.048 and weighed 47.981 lb for a volume of 4.76 gal. After 30 hours it weighed 47.038 and a calculated gravity of 1.024 and 49% apparent attenuation.

That's all for now, I'll give them a few more days and weigh again. So far I can at least say that the numbers are reasonable.

I just weighed them again at about 48 hrs since pitching.

1.084 -> 1.025 (calculated) 68.5% apparent attenuation (US-05 x2)

1.048 -> 1.021 (calculated) 55% apparent attenuation (S-04)

Of course none of this is terribly meaningful until I actually measure it with the hydrometer but it is still interesting. The lower gravity beer has no krausen on top at all anymore, but it is still bubbling.

it will keep weighing the same. As the sugar goes to alcohol your volume will expand. You need an accurate way to measure volume and account for all evaporation.

Assuming volume stays the same (can anyone confirm that?),

The volume doesn't stay the same. But the concept should still work. You basically measure how much of the extract has been converted to CO2 by measuring weight of CO2 that escaped.

To do the calculations correctly you need to work with % Sugar (~Plato) instead of SG. Here are some formulas that will help you:

Plato = 100% * extract weight / (extract weight + water weight)

CO2 weight = alcohol weight = fermented extract weight * 2

This is not true exactly as some of the fermented extract weight contributes to yeast growth, but I think it is good enough for this type of measurement

extract weight = Volume * sg * Plato/100

This is only true for wort and won't work for fermented beer. You can use this formula to determine the amount of extract present in the wort. Use this for the initial wort volume:

wort volume = wort weight / sg

To convert between apparent and real attenuation, which you will need to convert to the result to a apparent SG use this:

AA = RA / 0.82

From the initial SG and weight you can figure out how much water and extract exist in the wort. The difference in weight corresponds to the weight of CO2 lost. Twice this amount in sugars have been fermented to that point. Subtract this amount from the initial extract weight and calculate the current real-Plato for the beer assuming that there is no change in the amount of water. With that calculate the real attenuation and then the apparent attenuation from which you can get the apparent-Plato and apparent gravity.

It is a little complicated and but you'll do yourself a favor if you keep the calculations metric (liter, kg and kg/l).

Kai

Thanks Kaiser! I had a feeling the constant volume thing wasn't going to fly. Funny how I hadn't thought of that until I was typing that post.

Isn't this...

extract weight = Volume * sg * Plato/100

The same as this...

extract weight = total weight * plato/100

Also, can I have you go into a little more explanation of this:
CO2 weight = alcohol weight = fermented extract weight * 2

I follow that the weight loss is from CO2, so...

CO2 weight + Alcohol weight = fermented extract weight

but I guess I'm just suspicious that CO2 weight = alcohol weight. I know they'll be proportional but equal? That seems a little convenient. I don't really want to go looking up atomic weights right now.

And here I go...

C6H12O6 ——> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2
180.156........2(46.068) + 2(44.0095)

Well I'll be damned. Ethyl Alcohol and carbon dioxide have nearly identical molar masses. Good enough for me.

Since I don't ever actually need to know the weight of the extract in usable units, I think Imperial units are working out just fine. Here is what it all boils down to:

AA = RA/.82
AA = (Fermented extract / original extract weight)/.82
AA = [(weight lost * 2)/(original weight * plato/100)]/.82

Relatively simple.

That gives new numbers for my 48 hour weigh-in.

1.084 -> 1.029 (66%AA)
1.048 -> 1.023 (52%AA)

AA = RA/.82
AA = (Fermented extract / original extract weight)/.82
AA = [(weight lost * 2)/(original weight * plato/100)]/.82

Relatively simple.

You're correct. A lot of things start falling out out the equation once you put it all together. I was just to lazy.

another thing that you may want to keep in mind is that fermenting beer is going to be oversaturated with CO2 meaning that it holds more CO2 than it is expected to at atmospheric pressure. The CO2 equilibrium at 68F (20C) for atmospheric CO2 head pressure is about 1.7 g/l or 32g for the whole 5 gal (18.9 l) batch. This CO2 has already been produced, but it still contributes to the weight of the beer. The problem with oversaturation is that you don't know if the CO2 still in the beer is 32g or maybe even 40 or 50g. It depends on the vigor of the fermentation. Something to take into account if the numbers don't quite make sense.

Kai

Good point Kaiser. Only by de-gassing completely will the final weight accurately reflect the attenuation.

This is incredibly interesting. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing since I have a new 75 lb, 0.2 oz increment scale coming in the mail any day now and was thinking of doing this very thing. A search led me to this thread.

Coastrine, I know this is 5 months later, but if you happen across this, please let us know the final outcome of this experiment.

Thanks!:mug:

If my memory serves me, I think I was a few points off on those two experiments, but honestly I put this away just because it was such a pain to weigh my fermenters, especially since all of my brews require blowoff rigs and the surface of my scale is not quite big enough even for a carboy without a blowoff jug. Otherwise I might still be trying it. Can your scale comfortably weigh a carboy?

okay, I found the spreadsheet. On my winter brown I calculated a FG of 1.026 and measured a FG of 1.022. On my red ale I calculated a FG of 1.020 and measured it at 1.021. Those aren't terribly consistent (+4 and -1) but it probably would be good enough to determine when the gravity has stopped changing.

Here is my spreadsheet just to save you some time. It uses the math outlined above:

View attachment Gravbyweight.zip

http://home.comcast.net/~earlytimeshomebrew/brewing/Gravity_by_weight_IV.xls

I attempted to attach a new file, but I can't. Hopefully the above link will work for everyone. It is to an updated spreadsheet to calculate the estimated specific gravity from weight. I modified the formula to take into account the CO2 that is still in suspension as well as well as made the formula a little more accurate. For example, the molecular weight of CO2 and ethyl alcohol aren't exactly the same, so instead of multiplying the weight lost by 2, I changed it to multiply by 2.0467. This actually made quite a difference in the accuracy of the final gravity. Included is also a detailed explanation of the calculation for those who are so inclined to read about it.

Like I said in another post, I'm getting extremely accurate results with this method. So much so that I'm considering not taking a final gravity measurement anymore, but rather rely only on a weight measurement and the calculation. However, if you use a blowoff, or have an explosion through the airlock, I'd say all bets are off.

This calculation still does not take into account the yeast growth, but after 6 batches within 1 gravity point, it appears I do not have to. I am still having a hard time reconciling that, however. If anyone has any explanation for it, I'd be happy to hear it. I attempted to modify the formula to take the yeast growth into account, but my results were suddenly off by 3 or 4 points, so I went back to the original formula.

Also worth mentioning is how important accurate measurements are. For example, in my last batch, an oatmeal stout, the final weight was measured at 50.14lbs. This gave a calculated final gravity of 1.018. The hydrometer read 1.017 at 65F. So it appears I was off by 0.001. However, a weight of 50.12lbs gives a calculated result of 1.017 - spot on to the hydrometer. Conversely, 1.017 at 65F is temp corrected to 1.017, but if it was 1 degree warmer, 66F, it would temp correct to 1.018 - spot on the the calculated final gravity. So despite appearing to be off by 0.001, the actual results are much closer and the difference is in rounding up or down. I temporarily changed the number of displayed decimal places to 4 to reflect more accurate numbers, but I felt it muddied the spreadsheet up too much so I changed it back.

Thanks to Costarine and Kaiser for getting me started on this. And I welcome any feedback.

I’m glad to see that it worked for you. I have not bought a precise enough scale yet to use this approach myself. Yeast growth is included in that factor of 2.0467 that you are using to convert the loss of weight to a loss of sugar. One could even go so far and determine that factor from all the experiments that you have made so far.

Kai

http://home.comcast.net/~earlytimeshomebrew/brewing/Gravity_by_weight_IV.xls
I attempted to attach a new file, but I can't. Hopefully the above link will work for everyone. It is to an updated spreadsheet to calculate the estimated specific gravity from weight. I modified the formula to take into account the CO2 that is still in suspension as well as well as made the formula a little more accurate. For example, the molecular weight of CO2 and ethyl alcohol aren't exactly the same, so instead of multiplying the weight lost by 2, I changed it to multiply by 2.0467. This actually made quite a difference in the accuracy of the final gravity. Included is also a detailed explanation of the calculation for those who are so inclined to read about it.

Like I said in another post, I'm getting extremely accurate results with this method. So much so that I'm considering not taking a final gravity measurement anymore, but rather rely only on a weight measurement and the calculation. However, if you use a blowoff, or have an explosion through the airlock, I'd say all bets are off.

This calculation still does not take into account the yeast growth, but after 6 batches within 1 gravity point, it appears I do not have to. I am still having a hard time reconciling that, however. If anyone has any explanation for it, I'd be happy to hear it. I attempted to modify the formula to take the yeast growth into account, but my results were suddenly off by 3 or 4 points, so I went back to the original formula.

Also worth mentioning is how important accurate measurements are. For example, in my last batch, an oatmeal stout, the final weight was measured at 50.14lbs. This gave a calculated final gravity of 1.018. The hydrometer read 1.017 at 65F. So it appears I was off by 0.001. However, a weight of 50.12lbs gives a calculated result of 1.017 - spot on to the hydrometer. Conversely, 1.017 at 65F is temp corrected to 1.017, but if it was 1 degree warmer, 66F, it would temp correct to 1.018 - spot on the the calculated final gravity. So despite appearing to be off by 0.001, the actual results are much closer and the difference is in rounding up or down. I temporarily changed the number of displayed decimal places to 4 to reflect more accurate numbers, but I felt it muddied the spreadsheet up too much so I changed it back.

Thanks to Costarine and Kaiser for getting me started on this. And I welcome any feedback.
Could you share the excel file once again earlytimes? I'm interested in the subject but it seems the link hasn't survived the test of time.

Latest posts

Back