walmart 3 tier brewstand under 100$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4' high plus the burner height plus the HLT on a 14" by 15" base seems dicey to me. I dunno maybe I'm just paranoid.

Post your results if you try it.

high heat thin shelves . I see a mishap in the making someone on this site tried something similar and ended up welding braces in the shelves to hold the keggel

you can raise and lower each shelve to suit, i have a similar shelve unit in my kitchen. also you can take out a few poles and make it one solid unit. just a thought..

The wire frame racks have been proven to give under direct fire heat, FYI. Some users have placed a heat insulating sheet under the burner and used the burner to support the keg ok, but I would not use it personally.

The wire frame racks have been proven to give under direct fire heat, FYI. Some users have placed a heat insulating sheet under the burner and used the burner to support the keg ok, but I would not use it personally.

that sounds like a decent idea. think i might try it, if it dont work i got more shelves for bottle storage

Consider a folding scaffold from Home Depot or Lowes at $97
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here's what I did:

I got 2 folding metal scaffolds from Home Depot ($99 each). On the top rung
of the first scaffold sits a banjo burner with the HLT (Hot Liquid Tank). There's a bridge between the 2 scaffolds made of 2 each 1"x 8"s at the mid level rung that holds the MLT (Mash Lauter Tun). On the lowest level of the
2nd scaffold sits the banjo burner and boil pot. Which is just high enough to allow gravity flow into the fermenter (4 level) which sits on the floor.

I use several drinking water quaility hoses to get the strike water into the HLT. I never have to lift anything until I take the fermenter to the basement.
I use a handtruck to move the fermenters to the basement.

Something that I thought about but have yet to try is moving to boiled wort to the basement in Corny kegs via handtruck then using compressed air to move the wort from the corny into fermenters that sit up on shelves. This would help aerate the wort in addition to moving it up high so I could start the gravity flow process again.

On the minus side this set up takes up more room than a dedicated brew stand when its in full operation. On the plus side the scaffolds fold up to store in a very small space and are easily portable, they have lockable wheels which also affords a great deal of portability and they are useful to me for a variety of other functions. Additionally there is also enough room to add another HLT, MLT and Boil Pot so I could double what I’m doing now if I wanted to, which I do and almost have all the equipment to do so.

You could make a 3 level out of 1 scaffold by making a bottom shelf out of
2 each 1x8’s and count the floor as your 3rd level the top level could easily hold 2 burners with 2 each 25 gallon pots, same goes for the home-made bottom level.

That looks exactly like the type of brewstand I use. The shelves easily hold a full MLT and HLT at the same time. I've made some modifications since this photo, but no extra bracing is needed, and as long as you don't try to put the burner under a shelf and heat the pot through it, heat is not an issue.

Believe me, they're a LOT stronger than they look. I tried to break some of the welds to punch the hole you see in the top shelf and had to give up and switch to a Sawzall. Which was still a major PITA.

Edit: I don't recommend punching a hole in the shelf, btw :) That will weaken it.

-Joe

was just about to pm you nostalgia to ask if you had any problems with yours. thanks for chiming in..

if you take out the second two legs on the small unit, lower the shelve and use the legs from the second unit, and do the same with the last tall unit. would be a pretty solid setup i think.

was just about to pm you nostalgia to ask if you had any problems with yours. thanks for chiming in..
Surely :) I haven't had any problems, but I did make some changes for convenience. I moved the kettle outside the brewstand on a shelf to make it easier to remove for cleaning. That also allowed me to ditch the goofy cutout I did in the top shelf with a solid shelf.

I'll have to take some new pictures, but here you can just see how I used heavy-duty shelf brackets to move the kettle outside the stand. It's cantilevered out there, but low enough and close enough that it doesn't tip when full unless I do something stupid.

-Joe

well i'm sold.. will post reviews when i get it going...

I take no responsibility for any maiming that occurs ;)

The Walmart version does look a bit lighter-duty than the shelves I have, but 200# per shelf should be plenty. I jumped up and down on mine to test them before putting any hot liquids on it.

-Joe

maiming is half the fun, i am also doing 5 gallon batches so should be under the weight limit. will probably reinforce the shelves with some fireboard anyway..

and again if it dosent work i got more storage shelves...

There's a big difference between the gauge on the "cheap" wire shelving and the good ones. I picked up a unit like this from Target for storing all my brew gear. Each shelf is SUPPOSED to hold 300 lbs, but when I have two full carboys on one of the shelves, it is noticeably bowed. Everything sort of slides towards the middle.

A piece of wood over the shelf would help, but at that point you could just get a different type of shelving unit for the same price.

The unit Nostalgia has looks substantially more heavy duty that the wal-mart unit. Plus it looks to have a much wider and deeper foot print. I don't think you'd have a problem with the weight on the wal-mart unit. I'd be more concerned with the fact that it has such a small foot print 14"x15" that the top heavy nature of having a burner and HLT on top of it would cause it to be unstable. Especially if it was accidentially bumped.

Scalding hot liquid, an open flame and an unstable platform is a recipe for a very unhappy weekend.

Plus it goes against my other motto "Buy Cheap and Buy Twice"

I went this route for <$100 form Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_101933-1281-CR4824_0_?productId=1000527&Ntt=shelving&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=shelving

Just built an additional platform for my HLT...which is about head height. Still real easy to fill, and then it's just valve turning from there. The other half of the shelving unit is holding stuff on the other side of the room.

The included boards are a tad slim, but they haven't showed any signs of warping. I lined them with some contact paper for easy cleanup of spills.

DSC_2614b.jpg

I'll probably pick up another set of these when I start into making beer, IMO these are the best shelves for anything. With 800 lbs capacity per shelf, these should hold as much beer as you can throw at them.

Gorilla Rack GR-7304N-DI Storage Rack - NSF

You can pick them up at Sam's Club for about $150 a set. I currently have 4 sets in my garage, best investment ever for organization. I currently use a rack just for my brew equipment.

i just bought one of the steel shelves from the OP last week. never thought to try a brewstand with them. when i stood on them to test the 250lb quote on the package and they dipped like a trampoline. i do like the 800lb capacity shelf idea though. nobody says you have to apply direct heat either. :)

The great part about the Gorilla racks is that the wire shelf comes in two halves. You could leave the wire rack off of one half of a shelf and put a heating element (floor stand gas burner or mount an electrical unit) in the void. It's all very customizable.

That thing will not reliably support 200 pounds.
I can't see it not dumping a vat of hot wort all over the place.

That looks exactly like the type of brewstand I use.
Hey Joe. As said, the unit in your picture looks like it might be a little beefier than the OP's from Walmart. The dimensions on the Walmart site say that its shelf is 14" deep. What is the depth of yours? Where did you buy it?

I picked it up at Costco several years ago. They used to come with two sets of casters so you could have two rolling carts, but I believe they only come with one now.

I'd have to measure, but I think they're 16" deep.

-Joe

Latest posts

Back