New Home Depot Utility Cart Brewstand!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drubes14

Reaction score
Our new brewstand, in action! Deployed yesterday for a dry irish stout.

We used a heavy duty rolling utility cart from Home Depot, with the particle board shelves swapped out for stainless steel wire rack shelves. Shelves are rated up to 1,100 pounds each. The stainless steel racks are also supported with some cross supporting slats that came with the shelving units.

Triple burners right under, with a single March pump underneath, and casters for easy transport.

Plus, the shelf supports and holes on the uprights make for great storage and hanging space!

The whole thing cost just about 200 bucks.. 100 for shelf, 45 for stainless wire racks (bought at a restaurant supply store), and 35 for the casters.

Next goals are to install a switch box and perhaps adding a cleaner-looking propane apparatus instead of the hoses.

Looks nice! Do you have a link to the cart you used? I would be interested in looking into it myself. I'm starting to think about making some sort of stand with doing 10 gallon batches.

Of course! This is the cart I used:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-6...n_STH_BOSS_3086751-_-product_desc__W809347940

However, I was very close to getting this one instead: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiat...eel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-GARS604TEG/206688384

In the long run, I think the gladiator one would have actually been cheaper, since it comes with reinforced shelves and racks already (wouldn't have to buy).

For the Edsal rack I bought, I had to take an angle grinder to the wire racks I purchased. They needed about 1 inch off so they'd fit on the 18 inch shelf.

The 18" depth is perfect for keggles... not sure what your vessels would be for your 10 gallon batches.

Make sure the casters you get are strong enough to hold up your rig, though!

I was thinking of getting an edsal stand since I saw this photo -

I could make a easy 2 tier set up out of it and would take less time to build

aa6798ba-feec-4a94-a2c2-ab77176df6d1_1.ba1fb28c6a9f9a75475119d1f467c164.jpeg

We've made a few upgrades since then, but it's still going strong. The slots for the cross supports actually make great places to hang hooks and mount pumps/switches. You can see in the photo that we use the uprights to also dry out our silicone hose.

The cart has gotten fairly wet from wort splatter, and even took a beating in a rainstorm last weekend. Seems fairly weather proof. Haven't found any rust at all.

DO keep in mind, though, that if you mount this on wheels, make sure the bearings are rated for it. We used 130 lb rated wheels, assuming the whole cart would be able to handle 520 total with wort/3 kettles/HLT water, but the weight distribution bent the bottom wheel mounts on the left side when we did a 10 gallon batch.

We swapped out the 130 lb wheels with ones rated at 350 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7E6L0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).

A little overkill, but we've had no issues since.
wRX__n2-4XIjjoCJnu9yIqRSeEZR6ytdX-lqquIeE_Ke3Ky64Hd_rH_MO9uuQC6qw4p2wirCsNlwKUQDU9AMt5hbeBoSXkVEXAqgY3XkU8AnYViMHDb3h7YYZiep69nvV91XkOe_6w7vFidQWJRpK-gWQ8Q0ciyo2g7ah7YF3802By-ZWK-3r3IGbrw-eBB0L-5F3fyfqkY-GGIPtIdmgplPaFcJ-hOF4acSB_ALmXod1nbQWzYbjaNdmaioSdI4bXgxwHguKq8ai4YZFWvnarlD0ajpUCITS-lAwfRNioqiZdzR9D0kOufdnjEOuw0aF6VTf69j4xSyZywF6F7EaGRu2xWL3NuKw4NAMnPx3dEL3B9WFHmsJJSGq45FvTBpODRwBmUR7wKnbqn-03kqKkSLPnqQgMTHvCG4rI9ekk5EUuhJecsk_yp6GSfpCzA5yPD3PpT8WwNpM9HX90OdcTA8_rhVYaaqmWa-QZrA_Wl3r4F_yTY13T6LlaASRLmojoHiIR-NM51WmF-4rcdSg24N-TGD8kKxfFxIlpSlBhqG1Bym3Ps4Vk84Xs8C105YboE16uXJXxlIw1DRYfOTe8NmBFcX_-U1tGxNg0VG=w976-h1300-no

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of getting an edsal stand since I saw this photo -

I could make a easy 2 tier set up out of it and would take less time to build

aa6798ba-feec-4a94-a2c2-ab77176df6d1_1.ba1fb28c6a9f9a75475119d1f467c164.jpeg

That stand will fold up like a cheap suit at the least provocation, unless you added a crap ton of gussets...

Cheers!

yeah, would recommend looking at the original stand I posted. It's rated at a few thousand pounds, and has cross slat supports to support the weight. you can still do multiple tiers in the one i posted. you set the height of the shelves that you want, and could just use an angle grinder to cut some stainless steel shelving to size so your shelves dont overlap too much.

When choosing casters, keep in mind that on uneven surfaces (any surface that isn't a granite surface plate), there will be times when the load is concentrated on only two casters, at opposite corners. That is why I always specify at least double the calculated max load. Besides, bigger casters just roll smoother.

Our new brewstand, in action! Deployed yesterday for a dry irish stout.

We used a heavy duty rolling utility cart from Home Depot, with the particle board shelves swapped out for stainless steel wire rack shelves. Shelves are rated up to 1,100 pounds each. The stainless steel racks are also supported with some cross supporting slats that came with the shelving units.

Triple burners right under, with a single March pump underneath, and casters for easy transport.

Plus, the shelf supports and holes on the uprights make for great storage and hanging space!

The whole thing cost just about 200 bucks.. 100 for shelf, 45 for stainless wire racks (bought at a restaurant supply store), and 35 for the casters.

Next goals are to install a switch box and perhaps adding a cleaner-looking propane apparatus instead of the hoses.

Hello. Saw this post and just happened to be going to look at a Gladiator this morning. How has everything held up? Those wire racks are able to take direct heat from your burners and have held strong? Thanks for any feedback.

Back