Vissani Kegerator on Clearance at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmeh

Reaction score
I wanted a kegerator that would fit three 5-gallon cornies, but I stopped by Home Depot and found the Vissani MCKC490S priced at $112. This is certainly not the highest quality unit, and it only fits two cornies, but for that price I really could not pass it up. It comes with a 5lb CO2 tank w/holster, single-gauge regulator w/ shut-off valve, 1-faucet tower connected to a sankey tap with beer line, gas line already connected to the sankey tap, faucet wrench, rail, and drip tray. It also carries a one year warranty on parts and labor, with a five year warranty on the compressor.

If you search the web, you will find that you may have to adjust the thermostat screw to get it cold enough. It would also benefit from a fan to cool the tower.

I am probably going to sell the tower, faucet, beer and gas line, and sankey tap, and get a two-faucet tower with Perlicks. The tower is black plastic. If anyone is interested in the tower, etc., let me know.

You would be hard-pressed to find just the tank and regulator for much less than this. You can certainly build your own and end up with a higher quality unit, but not for this price.

I know they have one more at the HD in Middleton, MA. Just thought I would pass this on.

Happy Brewing.

That's a great deal considering it's listed at $500 on their website. All you need is to drill the tower for a second tap and get a distributor for two gas lines.

That's a great deal considering it's listed at $500 on their website. All you need is to drill the tower for a second tap and get a distributor for two gas lines.

I might consider drilling the tower for two taps, but it will depend upon whether there is enough room in the tower. It is only about 2 3/4" in diameter, and it will be a very tight fit unless I have one tap lower than the other. For aesthetics, I would prefer not to do that. I also want to be able to get a tube up there to chill the tower. The other consideration will be whether it will be difficult to mount a larger diameter tower. The current tower just locks in the hole with some plastic stops. I assume that for a new tower I will need to reinforce and screw it in, although I have read that someone has just used 10x1 wood screws into the plastic. Any suggestions?

I have this unit. I got it for $250. Still a good deal. I drilled small holes and bolted my two tap tower to it. Worked like a charm. I also did the thermostat tinkering, now it stays at 36-38 no problem.
I have had it for about 3 months and am happy with it overall!

Well, mine got down to 32F in the front corner overnight, so it looks like I will not need to adjust the thermostat range. It also came with a "Customer Service Manual" that describes the thermostat adjustment, in addition to the "Instruction Manual." Perhaps Magic Chef listened to some of the negative feedback and addressed it.

I have the same one I picked it up for 150$ last summer I did put a chrome 2 tap tower on it . The one I have went right down to 35°empty but it does take a while to cool 5 gallons of beer from room temp. I keep it around 41°

I have the same one I picked it up for 150$ last summer I did put a chrome 2 tap tower on it . The one I have went right down to 35°empty but it does take a while to cool 5 gallons of beer from room temp. I keep it around 41°

With the tower, did you just use wood screws to attach to the plastic, or did put bolts through and attach the nuts from inside the cabinet? If the latter, did you reinforce it with a piece of plywood or the like? Thanks.

I took the twist adapter off the original tower made a plate for it to attach to the new larger tower and it goes in just like the original tower.

I got this kegerator for 60 dollars off of craigslist. It had never been used before, but it had something spray painted on the side. Whatever. I did have to adjust the screw quite a bit to get it to cool off enough to serve beer out of. Sounds like you don't have that issue.

I took the back tower off, and put on my two tap tower. The black plastic tower really is useless for another kegerator because of its size and how it mounts. I just gave it to my next door neighbor.

Other than the thermostat thing, it has worked well enough for what I paid for it.

With the tower, did you just use wood screws to attach to the plastic, or did put bolts through and attach the nuts from inside the cabinet? If the latter, did you reinforce it with a piece of plywood or the like? Thanks.

I just used stainless steel screws. No bolts or anything. Totally solid enough.

Well, I put the new tower on earlier in the week. It worked fine with four 10x1 stainless screws, with no need to bolt it through. The plastic drip tray that came with the Vissani is not quite long enough to work well with the spread of the two taps, so I have ordered a replacement in stainless.

This morning I hooked up the plumbing, ran some hot oxyclean through it, let it sit in the lines for about 20 minutes, then ran some hot water through, then some Star San. One of the liquid disconnects leaks and is impervious to keg lube, but I had a spare, so no problem.

I brought a keg of APA up from the keezer in the basement, so I have one tap going. Success!

I thought that I might have to rig something up (a fan or some copper tubing) to cool the tower, but the APA is pouring great without it. I will not bother unless I run into problems in the warmer months.

which screw did you guys ajust? is it the small on on the rightside or the one on the back. also, which way did you turn it, clockwise or counterclockwise? thanks

Small on on right. Turn counter clockwise. Don't turn it too much, everything will freeze. Do it in Half turn increments. I made a dot on the screw with a marker to see how much I turned it.

Can some one tell me what the 2 different adjustmnet screws do and which way to turn them? Thanks

Latest posts

Back