Starsan longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I have been using this bucket of starsan for a while because I am under the impression that it takes a while for stansan to go bad. Is there a way I test this bucket to make sure the starsan is still killing germs like it's suppose to?

Image link

IMG_1033-e1281644173899.jpg

I've kept star san in a bucket for no more than a week. In a spray bottle for months. My motto is: When in doubt...throw it out.

Anyone else notice that after a few days the water with star san feels slightly slimy?

Nope.

I buy 5l drums of distilled water to mix up my star san....well I did once.
I do my bottling from a large Gorilla trug.
Once finished I put it back into my jerry cans and store it until the next time I need it.
I started making up 40l and am down to just over 20l now as I use it up on this and that and a little gets lost here and there, but I pH check it and have had to top it up with a little star san once. It's still doing a perfect job.

I've used it on three or four brews now with no issues.

I will change it shortly but the water costs me quite a bit as distilled water is not that common to buy over here and is quite expensive.

My tap water clouds up immediately with star san and it was hard to get the pH down where I wanted it with tap water, so I am not using tap water unless I get stuck and when I do I don't tend to keep it for more than one or two uses.

I keep 4 gals Star San in a bucket and check it with a PH strip. If the test shows it's on the edge I add 1 gal slightly strong (2.5 tsps per gal) fresh Star San to the mix and bring the ph of the bucket back to "specs". During normal use I will consume a gal and have the space to add more when needed, usually every 2 -3 weeks. Been doing this for 5 months (last time I bought 32 oz of Star San) and no infections.

Anyone else notice that after a few days the water with star san feels slightly slimy?

Yes on the slimy. I have to overestimate on the measuring to fill a spray bottle, though, so I think that's it.

Somebody check my math...
1/20oz. StarSan for a 32 oz. spray bottle?

I can't measure that much, so I eyeball it to about 1/10oz in the filler chamber to be safe...

Star San includes a surfactant, aka a wetting agent. Breaks down surface tension to prolong contact of the active juices. Might explain the slimey huh?

I have kept a 5 gallon RO water carboy mixed with starsan for 3 years. Checked the pH at each use and kept the carboy in a non-conditioned garage the entire time. Summer highs in the 100's + and winter lows in the single digits. Cold enough inside to see ice crystal form. Yet, the pH stayed at 3.

Kept under a ph of 3, it will be active. I mix with distilled due to a high carbonate content of my water, and I've had it last months.

How do you measure the pH with strips when your strips measure a range of 4.6 - 6.2 ?

Tested the pH of the Starsan, and it was @ 3.2. So, I guess it is still good :D

...or just use the strips with the 4.6-6.2 scale on them. Guess what, just because the scale only shows that range on the box they will actually read higher and lower, surprise! Then, test a fresh batch so you can have a sample of what color the strip should be showing when the ph is correct.

Latest posts

Back