Sabco fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 15.5 gallon sanke that I got for free (friend works at the distributor). Just remove the spear, clean it out and it's good to go. You can stretch one of those orange caps for the top or get one of these. http://www.brewershardware.com/sanke-fermenter-kits/

Closed transfers under pressure are the bomb!

Yes I did this for a while too, then I cut the top of the keg to use it as an HLT, wow was I surprised what I missed cleaning it through that 2" hole. I always cleaned it with PBW, Star-san, and steam, but I still was leaving stuff behind in the upper parts of the keg. The 4" TC opening is big enough to get your arm in, and I can pressurize the tank too for CO2 transfers. well worth it for me.

Yes I did this for a while too, then I cut the top of the keg to use it as an HLT, wow was I surprised what I missed cleaning it through that 2" hole. I always cleaned it with PBW, Star-san, and steam, but I still was leaving stuff behind in the upper parts of the keg. The 4" TC opening is big enough to get your arm in, and I can pressurize the tank too for CO2 transfers. well worth it for me.

Yes I sometimes wash it twice just to get it clean. I built a special washer with a pump. I use a flash light and a mirror for visual inspection. Sometimes after the first wash there can be some crud still stuck on but after the second go around it comes out clean. I use hot water and oxyclean. The pump sprays it up into the keg.

that said I'd love to have a 4" hole in the top. The sabco fermenters are awesome. I'm just a cheapskate ;)

My plan is to save up a few sanke and then take them to a welder to have corny lids welded onto the tops in place of the sanke fitting. This will be a two fold benefit, ease of cleaning and I will be able to hook them up using my corney interconnects.

It will take quite a while to accumulate them tho since I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them. So I will just get them as I find them ;)

Back