IC v IC (with whirl-pooling)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
Per requests, I have created a new thread with this data...

I have been trying out different ways of cooling my wort. I picked up a 50ft CFC and decided to see what difference the whirl-pooling action makes. I came across this method of cooling on the mr malty website (http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php).

IC1.jpg

IC2.jpg

Test 1 I boiled 5 gallons of water and used just the IC (no whirlpool) and here are the results.
Ambient temp: 82
Faucet water: 74
Flow rate: 2 gallons per min
212-140: 4 mins
140-100: 8 mins
100-90: 4 mins (somebody came to my door, so I had to stop the experiment at 90).

Total time 212-90 = 16 mins.

Test 2 same 5 gallons of water using the IC and whirl-pooling arm. Wort ran through a pump and back into the BK through this extra piece of copper creating a whirlpool.
Ambient temp: 82
Faucet water: 74
Flow rate: 2 gallons per min
212-140: 2 mins
140-100: 3 mins
100-80: 5 mins

Total time 212-80 = 10 mins.

IC4.jpg

Conclusion:
As you can see by whirl-pooling you can get your temperature down a lot faster (almost double). For this test I just used straight faucet water. When I am brewing for real, I would obviously use a pre-chiller and ice bath which will get the wort down to pitching temperatures.

Also the 6 minutes I saved = 12 gallons of saved water. So it works out better for the environment also!

Great write-up and photos Bigelow. I've got a 50' 3/8 SS IC and have been debating making a Jamil chiller.

I also recently acquired a Therminator and have been considering using this instead. Whirlpooling is still very important to me, so I wonder if I could make a whirlpool return on my BK and recirc from the Therminator to drop my temp and get a nice whirlpool going? The obvious problem here is clogging up the HEX

Great write-up and photos Bigelow. I've got a 50' 3/8 SS IC and have been debating making a Jamil chiller.

I also recently acquired a Therminator and have been considering using this instead. Whirlpooling is still very important to me, so I wonder if I could make a whirlpool return on my BK and recirc from the Therminator to drop my temp and get a nice whirlpool going? The obvious problem here is clogging up the HEX

I recirc through my Therminator. I just run the output hose along the side of the BK and it gets a good whirlpool going.

immersion chillers don't get the respect they deserve. People assume that, because they're more expensive, plate and CFC's are 'better,' but when built and used correctly an IC can really perform. Maintenance is much much easier, too.

To really shave time off, use a pump to recirculate coolant too, once you're down to about 100F. Fill your mashtun up with ice water and pump that through your IC. Route the IC's output back into the ice water.

This is definitely the way to go IMO. I have found a March High Temperature Brewing Pump H315 for 134.95. That and a pond pump for the prechiller, some hose and fittings, I will be able to do it right. Thanks Captain.

Latest posts

Back