Digital Hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta love google.

http://www.alber.com/ProdPageDMA.htm

Hydrometer.gif

Looks like you can break a LOT of glass hydrometers before you come out ahead on the cost of that baby.

You can try Googling for "density meter" for more hits.

http://www.factorydirect2you.com/di.html

$50 doesn't seem like too steep of a price. Although I can't make out the name of the manufacturer to get an specs on the device.

EDIT - It is under the wine/brewing section but it looks more like something that would measure humidity in the air, considering the labels on the thing.

Tenchiro said:
http://www.factorydirect2you.com/di.html

$50 doesn't seem like too steep of a price. Although I can't make out the name of the manufacturer to get an specs on the device.

If I had to guess that only measures Humidity and temprature. I only say this because looking at the picture it has the words "Home Weather Station" and "Home Comfort Station" on it. :)

gruffudd said:
If I had to guess that only measures Humidity and temprature. I only say this because looking at the picture it has the words "Home Weather Station" and "Home Comfort Station" on it. :)

I just noticed that... weird that it is under the wine and bar section.

couldn't you use a refractometer? Not sure of the scale they use but isn't it close to the same info? disolved sugars in a solution?

krispy d said:
couldn't you use a refractometer? Not sure of the scale they use but isn't it close to the same info? disolved sugars in a solution?

Brix, I believe (might be plato). In either case, it's pretty easy to convert to specific gravity. You've got to be careful using a refractometer with fermented wort, as the inclusion of alcohol in the solution messes with the numbers - but BeerSmith (and I believe ProMash) can make the adjustments for you.

david_42 said:
That's a humidistat, not a hydrometer. Someone over at FD is FK.

It's an understandable mistake. It's actually a hygrometer instead of a hydrometer like they advertise.

Although if they sell them they should know the difference.

A digital hydrometer seems awfully silly for most applications. It'd likely be just as fragile as a glass one, and far more expensive.

However, if I could integrate its output into my brewing software, then I'd be for it!

Refractometers read in specific gravity. The are very important in salt water aquariums because they are much more precise and accurate than a hydrometer. You can get them for 40 to 100 depending on the brand and quality. Just look on ebay or online stores in the aquarium section.

i've been using my new refractometer for about 10 days now and im in love. i have beersmith permanently open and running on my computer so it's no big deal to plug the numbers in. i've compared the correction it does for fermenting wort or finished beer with a hydrometer reading and it's dead on. you don't even need to use the software to convert from brix to SG when you're dealing with unfermented wort. 1 brix = 1.004. unless you like expensive gadgets that are prone to breaking get a refractometer.

SenorWanderer said:
i've been using my new refractometer for about 10 days now and im in love. i have beersmith permanently open and running on my computer so it's no big deal to plug the numbers in. i've compared the correction it does for fermenting wort or finished beer with a hydrometer reading and it's dead on. you don't even need to use the software to convert from brix to SG when you're dealing with unfermented wort. 1 brix = 1.004. unless you like expensive gadgets that are prone to breaking get a refractometer.

SenorWanderer is right on. I've had my refractometer for about a month now and love it. Bought on ebay for around $40. Never want to use a hydrometer again. Make sure you get one that has automatic temperature correction (ATC)

Morebeer has an excel spreadsheet that converts brix to density and accounts for alcohol levels during fermentation. They have a video demonstration: http://morebeer.com/learn_vids/vids_refract?PHPSESSID=dafd927fcd19db4a07df566e6222016f

Back