Container Volume calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
So I wrote this up to help me measure volumes, specifically strike and sparge water as well as pre boil and post boil volumes. Although I had measured out pre-defined depths, I wanted to be able to know specifically for a given volume, the height in a container and the opposite. Someone's probably done this before, but I thought I'd post it in case anyone found it useful. With a metal yardstick, I can find all my volumes.

For example, my trusty brew target software tells me I need 4.828 gallons of water for my initial infusion and 3.3 gallons for my sparge. So I enter the volume in the h for v row, for the column I've already entered my bucket dimensions, and it tells me I need to fill the bucket to 9 and 5/8 inches. Afterward, I fill the bucket to 6 and 13/16 inches for the sparge. Once I'm done sparging, I measure my pre boil volume at 10 9/16 inches in my kettle, so I plug that into v for h in the kettle row/column and get 6.59 gal. After the boil, I measure it at 8 and 1/2 inches and plug that into v for h for the kettle and get 5.21 gal. I also measured the displacement of my kettlescreen and temp guage, so I can correct for them.

The first tab is just using general numbers, the second tab is the same, only with the volumes rounded to the nearest 100th and the measurements rounded to the nearest 1/16th of an inch.

Don't type in the yellow boxes, those are the formulas and populate based on your input in the white boxes.

I'll add my cornies to this (once they are empty again...).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/701389/beer/ContainerVolumesByDepth.xlsx

"6 and 13/16 inches for the sparge. Once I'm done sparging, I measure my pre boil volume at 10 9/16 inches in my kettle, so I plug that into v for h in the kettle row/column and get 6.59 gal. After the boil, I measure it at 8 and 1/2 inches and plug that into v for h for the kettle and get 5.21 gal."

HAHA. Y'all should try this new fangled measurement system called metric. No fractions!

"6 and 13/16 inches for the sparge. Once I'm done sparging, I measure my pre boil volume at 10 9/16 inches in my kettle, so I plug that into v for h in the kettle row/column and get 6.59 gal. After the boil, I measure it at 8 and 1/2 inches and plug that into v for h for the kettle and get 5.21 gal."

HAHA. Y'all should try this new fangled measurement system called metric. No fractions!

I'll do the conversion... 6 13/16 equal 173.0375 mm. 10 9/16 equal 268.2875. If I can find a metric miter stick I'll use those.:D

Yes, I weigh my bullets in grains, velocity in feet per second and energy in foot pounds... I even still use contractions although I've lost my drawl... but if you were actually interested, the only thing that makes the spread sheet "standard" is the cubic measurement to volume (1/231 for cubic inches to gallons). Substitute the 231 for your favored conversion (10000, 1000, et al) and the spread sheet works in metric. There's nothing specific to any measuring system otherwise.

Back