Brinkmann turkey fryer kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
Just got a 32qt brinkmann turkey fryer for Xmas. Since the 32qt pot sits inside a ring when on the fryer would I be able to use a wider kettle in the future and just sit it on top of the ring or would this be a problem?

Anybody ever use a wider/bigger kettle without problems?

Just want to see if I can upgrade kettle later or if I should return.

Thanks
Chris.

I wouldn't see why not? I just used one of those brinkmann fryers with a buddy who got it for a gift. Great value for sure.

I think it would be ok also. Just looking to see if anyone had first hand experience using a bigger pot that would sit on top of the burner ring.

Anyone?

Thanks
Chris

I would think you would be better off finding a way to remove the ring. Just my first thought, I have not seen this kind of equipment first hand.

The kettle that came with the fryer us 12.5 inch diameter. I'm thinking I can fit about 13 inch diameter on the burner (so the kettle sirs inside the ring) anything bigger would sit on top of the ring

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a similar dimension turkey fryer and pot, with the ring on the fryer. I'm looking at upgrading the pot, but all the bigger pots are larger diameter. I'm a little concerned about stability. You don't want a kettle full of 8 gal of boiling water to be unstable. :D

I have the same burner and actually found an issue using this... these brinkman turkey fryers have a sensor that the kettle sits on and its a temperature gauge (which is a safety feature to shut off the gas if it hits 375 degrees). I have a massive kettle that I tried to sit on top of that and without the sensor being pressed it will automatically shut off after about 10 minutes once it gets hot enough.

I had to dump my wort into the turkey fryer kettle and allow that to "sit" on the temperature sensor in order to keep the flame on.

I am considering finding some sort of magnet I can place on my large kettle that will "push" this sensor down so I can use my larger kettle for larger boils.

brinkmann turkey fryer.jpg

I have the same burner and actually found an issue using this... these brinkman turkey fryers have a sensor that the kettle sits on and its a temperature gauge (which is a safety feature to shut off the gas if it hits 375 degrees). I have a massive kettle that I tried to sit on top of that and without the sensor being pressed it will automatically shut off after about 10 minutes once it gets hot enough.

I had to dump my wort into the turkey fryer kettle and allow that to "sit" on the temperature sensor in order to keep the flame on.

I am considering finding some sort of magnet I can place on my large kettle that will "push" this sensor down so I can use my larger kettle for larger boils.

If you haven't already found the solution: Take the wires off that switch and join the ends of the two wires together. This will disable the sensor and allow you to heat without worrying about it.

Awesome and thanks for the tip - I am brewing tomorrow with it so I'll definitely give that a whirl.

I have the same one.....used it once. Kept shutting off. Need to do this wire bypass thing. I actually found one of my burners on my cooktop can boil 5 gallons.

If you haven't already found the solution: Take the wires off that switch and join the ends of the two wires together. This will disable the sensor and allow you to heat without worrying about it.

I tried doing that with mine and it now does not stay lit. I;ve tried everything I can think of, and even now that I reattached the wires, I have to tape the red knob at the bottom up (in the pushed position) for the burner to stay on at all.
I'm planning on upgrading at some point, either to the Dark Star or to one that a friend of mine got at Bass Pro shops. Don't remember the name, but it comes with extension legs that put it at almost waist level to start. Heats water pretty durn fast, too.

I tried doing that with mine and it now does not stay lit. I;ve tried everything I can think of, and even now that I reattached the wires, I have to tape the red knob at the bottom up (in the pushed position) for the burner to stay on at all.
I'm planning on upgrading at some point, either to the Dark Star or to one that a friend of mine got at Bass Pro shops. Don't remember the name, but it comes with extension legs that put it at almost waist level to start. Heats water pretty durn fast, too.

I battled with this burner for 2 years... I had the same issue, constantly shutting off, screwing up my boil times etc.

Finally I had enough... If you can afford it, get yourself the blichmann floor burner... It's $150 (~$175 after shipping) and the time it saves will blow your mind vs the crappy turkey fryer. Not to mention, the efficiency alone in a nice burner designed for homebrewing will pay for itself after enough brew days...

I have no idea what brand my turkey fryer setup is, but my burner has a ring, as well. The ONLY problem I could see would be a longer time to get to a boil. And when you place your brew kettle on the burner, make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you are centered on the ring! Don't want that hot wort tipping the burner over, now do we?????

glenn514:mug:

For what its worth I have been using the same burner for 3 years now. I had the sensor issue and was unsuccessful in my attempts to rewire like mentioned above .

My Fix:

I wedge a pint glass, perfect height, underneath to constantly hold the red button down. It works like a charm and never goes out

Latest posts

Back