Blichmann Shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
Apparently Blichmann is currently dealing with a significant shortage (I believe it has to do with their stainless steel supply), and aren't anticipating fresh stock (of kettles at least, and possibly other products) until around June. Their current stock is already in ridiculously short supply, and some sizes may be entirely gone by now.

So if you've been looking at getting a Blichmann kettle in the near future, I suggest you get a move on it, because even RIGHT NOW you're going to have a hell of a time, and it won't get any easier.

Hmmm, glad I ordered mine a few weeks ago. It took two weeks for it to come in. It was the 10 gallon Boilermaker.

I hope anyone waiting for one will get their order fufilled as quick as possible, It stinks waiting for that big shiny pot.

I have a Blichmann 15 gallon with false bottom for sale for $2,000. New in the box.

Is this too early to jump on the escalating price bandwagon? :D

Heh, I got an email from the fine folks at Northern Brewer about this. They were able to help me deal with the problem. Theoretically, I could just wait a few months and keep on brewing the way I'm brewing now. But instead I'm getting 30gal kettles that can ship post haste and I can start brewing on the new system soon.

Same with the Blichmann Beer Guns. I finally found one at Rebel Brewers in Tenn. Shipped the next day. I may have gotten lucky as they seem to be out everywhere.

Got an email from northern brewer Friday saying the 20G kettle is on back order. I can wait till the end of April, or cancel my order.
Not sure what I am going to do now, really don't want to wait 6 weeks or longer.

I got (3)-20 Gal Blichmann's NEW IN THE BOX.

$600 a piece shipped.

J/K I won't sell my new stuff.
Good Luck to those in search of kettles.

I just ordered a 15 gallon boilermaker today from AHS. I guess we'll see, but I won't be needing it for another month or so anyway. Hopefully it ships by then.

Last I heard, only 15's and 30's were really left on Blichmann's part.

After speaking with Northern Brewer some more, they told me Blichmann has a few scratch and dent kettles that are 10% off. On a first come first serve type of thing. I went ahead and got one.

I hope it just has a minor scratch or something like that.

But if your willing to have a scratch or dent this might be an option.

After speaking with Northern Brewer some more, they told me Blichmann has a few scratch and dent kettles that are 10% off. On a first come first serve type of thing. I went ahead and got one.

Only 10% off for a "scratch & dent"??? I would think it should be in the neighborhood of 25% and even then it should be fairly minor stuff.

I hope it works out for you.

My new kettles came with a dent or two, those probably have the sides caved in.

_

Only 10% off for a "scratch & dent"??? I would think it should be in the neighborhood of 25% and even then it should be fairly minor stuff.

I hope it works out for you.

Thanks... I'll post how bad or good it is when I get it.

Apparently the Therminators are on back order also. I ordered a bunch of blichmann stuff and they have been waiting to ship everythig out until the therminators are in stock. I wish they would have just shipped everything else first and then the chiller when they got it.

Apparently the Therminators are on back order also. I ordered a bunch of blichmann stuff and they have been waiting to ship everythig out until the therminators are in stock. I wish they would have just shipped everything else first and then the chiller when they got it.

When did you place that order? As far as I've been told, the one I ordered on the 12th with my kettle is on schedule (takes a while to Canada).

I ordered a 10gal boilermaker last week from northern brewer and then a few days later they told me they were one backorder and wouldn't ship until late april. They offered me the same 10% off for a scratch and dent model and I took it. Hopefully I will get mine soon!

You don't have to get Blichmann gear, you can always go with a mega pot or polarware. They are quality products too you know.

Full disclosure: I own a Top Tier and a 15g Boilermaker.

Swib said:
You don't have to get Blichmann gear, you can always go with a mega pot or polarware. They are quality products too you know.

Full disclosure: I own a Top Tier and a 15g Boilermaker.

My aluminum pot boils wort pretty well too. ;)

When did you place that order? As far as I've been told, the one I ordered on the 12th with my kettle is on schedule (takes a while to Canada).

I placed my order with Rebel Brewer on 3/1/11, so Blichmann should have received the order on 3/2.

Actually, now I am told that they are out of stock on some of the parts for the Top Tier as well, so they cannot ship that to me.

My humble opinion is that the following should be removed from their website:

**** SUPER FAST DELIVERY ON ALL BLICHMANN PRODUCTS**** (see details below!)

FAST SHIPPING! Most items are stocked by our retailers for immediate shipment. Items that are not stocked by your retailer can be shipped by us in about 2-3 business days after we receive their order. Don't wait weeks or months for your gear!

On occasion we are backordered on an item which will extend the ship time from our facility. Please contact your retailers for specific availability at time of order.

Just picked my 10 gallon BoilerMaker today at my lhbs, they have pretty much everything Blickmann in stock so I guess I'm lucky... Can't wait to brew

Actually, now I am told that they are out of stock on some of the parts for the Top Tier as well, so they cannot ship that to me.

I ordered a toptier on March 13, when did you order?

their website still says
TopTier™ Modular Brewing Stand - IN STOCK AND READY FOR IMMEDIATE SHIPMENT!

and all the stores which list the 10 and 20 kettles out of stock say the toptier is in stock

Yeah, I ordered my toptier a few weeks ago, apparently there was a shipment of faulty legs for the stand or something. I've been told that the new legs are arriving towards the beginning of next week and I should get my TT shipped out later next week. Overall, I'm sitting at the +3 week day today, so it's a bit slower than I had hoped but will still be faster than a custom built system.

I ordered my Top Tier 3/1/2011. I understand what they are going through, and I am okay with it. I just wish the communication, including the copy on their website, was a little more forthcoming. I actually decided against building my own system because 1) I really do like the top tier design and 2) I could get it right away. I am not sure if I would have made the same decision if I knew it would be a month or more to receive my order. But, I am sure I will be very happy once I get my stuff. I hope for Blichmann's and their customer's sake the supply side issues will be worked out soon.

Got my 20G kettle today. Looks great only thing I see is a scratch on the inside down the length of the kettle. Not a big deal to me at all.

Nice. I got my 30gal pots today, along with the false bottom, hop blocker, hop rocket, and three burners. Just waiting on the stand, really.

Nice. I got my 30gal pots today, along with the false bottom, hop blocker, hop rocket, and three burners. Just waiting on the stand, really.

Man... I was happy to be expecting my therminator, hop rocket, hop blocker, and just a single 15gal pot - for stovetop brewing - with a hole plug kit (LHBS owner will be putting a lower hole for the temperature gauge, more appropriate for 5gal batches) by the end of the month, but now I'm just envious! Wish I could afford that :)

Instead, I'm slowly acquiring parts that I'll be able to eventually have a fully-functioning, largely automatic electric brewery. Since it will take me a while to be able to afford all that, but I want to brew better ASAP, I'm trying to plan my purchases out in as organic an order as possible, spending as much as I can afford to spend on brewing (allowing space in the budget for ingredients to keep brewing, obviously) on equipment that will be a part of the eventual finished BrewHouse of Worship, but that I can also use immediately with the rest of my equipment I already have without spending a dime on anything that won't have a place in my finished BHoW.

That was my original plan, actually- a single pot which could probably serve double or triple duty during a normal brewday (batch sparge into a temp holding vessel, clean the pot and swap the fb for a hb and turn it into a boil kettle). Definitely a good way to do it, slowly evolve and upgrade. A weird turn of events led to a big ol' investment in brewing hardware, one of those things that you don't really plan for. So I took advantage. Big blingmann brewery shall be assembled sooner or later.

The bummer about the stand being back-ordered is that I don't have a regulator for my burners. I could probably cobble together a temporary setup while waiting on the TT to ship, but without the rest of the propane hardware that is boxed with the TT, my burners are just sad shells with no real way to get them propane. Alas.

Also- good move on getting your LHBS to punch the hole in the pot for you. I just drilled out a hole in one of the lids (for a sparge / recirc / whirlpool return), since I figured I'd rather disfigure a lid then a pot. It was (a) a pain, (b) really noisy, and (c) probably ruined the stainless right around where I drilled. Got pretty hot, despite a very liberal use of cutting oil. I had drilled out my old pot, but it was a much thinner gauge of stainless. Next time I have to do something like that I'll either have a brew store do it or invest in a good punch.

That was my original plan, actually- a single pot which could probably serve double or triple duty during a normal brewday (batch sparge into a temp holding vessel, clean the pot and swap the fb for a hb and turn it into a boil kettle). Definitely a good way to do it, slowly evolve and upgrade. A weird turn of events led to a big ol' investment in brewing hardware, one of those things that you don't really plan for. So I took advantage. Big blingmann brewery shall be assembled sooner or later.

The bummer about the stand being back-ordered is that I don't have a regulator for my burners. I could probably cobble together a temporary setup while waiting on the TT to ship, but without the rest of the propane hardware that is boxed with the TT, my burners are just sad shells with no real way to get them propane. Alas.

Also- good move on getting your LHBS to punch the hole in the pot for you. I just drilled out a hole in one of the lids (for a sparge / recirc / whirlpool return), since I figured I'd rather disfigure a lid then a pot. It was (a) a pain, (b) really noisy, and (c) probably ruined the stainless right around where I drilled. Got pretty hot, despite a very liberal use of cutting oil. I had drilled out my old pot, but it was a much thinner gauge of stainless. Next time I have to do something like that I'll either have a brew store do it or invest in a good punch.

I highly doubt you hurt the stainless in any way, especially from the heat, you have to remember that people weld stainless which is much hotter than a crappy drill bit will get it, for those of you wanting to drill a pot all you need is a cordless drill and a stepped drill bit, it will make short work of any holes you need to drill, id stay away from hole saws on a thin stainless pot, when it grabs it will just bent/tear it to shreds if not carefull.

I emailed them about the Toptier and they said a batch of legs were scratched and that they will hopefully catch up with shipping by the end of this week.

I just ordered a 15 gallon boilermaker today from AHS. I guess we'll see, but I won't be needing it for another month or so anyway. Hopefully it ships by then.

My boilermaker showed up today:ban:

I'm not home, but the wife says it looks great! I can't wait to put it to use:rockin:

Back