Barley Crusher Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
So I have had a barley crusher for about a year and for some reason of late it takes me forever to crush my grist for a 5 gallon batch. Every 10 seconds or so it is like the wheels are turning but nothing is crushing. So I have to reverse how I turn the arms to get some grain falling thru and then I start turning in the appropriate direction. 10 seconds later I repeat the process. Anyone have this problem before? Solution? My alignment is fine so that is not it.

Thanks.

That's exactly what happened to me! The slave roller wasn't "catching" and turning. I did what GRHunter said, and took it apart, cleaned the graindust out and oiled with mineral oil.

You want to use something like mineral oil, I think. I wouldn't try WD40.

After you oil it lightly and put it back together, run a pound or two of grain through and you should be all set.

WD 40 is NOT OIL. Its Water Displacement formula 40. Its not actually a lubricant.

Mineral oil, or a silicone based lube (I don't think there's any seals inside there that have silicone o-rings), since both are food-safe.

This symptom just started with my Barley Crusher after ~2 years. I thought the adjustable roller somehow got tighter so I loosened it off to get through the brew session. I plan on purchasing a feeler gauge and taking the mill apart and using keg lube on the bushings as suggested.

Update, I took it apart, cleaned it out, and greased it up. Puppy is good as new! Like Pacman again! Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back