Banjo Vs. Hurricane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh.... price?

High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner
Item #: BG14

Price: $37.99

#7334 Hurricane Burner, restrictor plate and screw (no stand)
$32.00
EACH

the_Roqk said:
Ugh.... price?

High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner
Item #: BG14

Price: $37.99

#7334 Hurricane Burner, restrictor plate and screw (no stand)
$32.00
EACH

Roqk- Price doesn't really apply. The sites were just for pics/basic info. If you remember, I got the Banjo (just the burner) from Amazon for $25. I'm more interested in performance. The Banjo is loved by everyone....but you never hear about the Hurricane, and it appears to be the very same burner element. Kinda wierd.

OH CRAP! I just went over 200! OH! OH!.....

Sometimes it happens prematurely...:eek:

ScubaSteve said:
Roqk- Price doesn't really apply. The sites were just for pics/basic info. If you remember, I got the Banjo (just the burner) from Amazon for $25. I'm more interested in performance. The Banjo is loved by everyone....but you never hear about the Hurricane, and it appears to be the very same burner element. Kinda wierd.

Dude I'm just messing with ya! Seems kinda quiet around here tonight.

Seriously.. they both look the same to me and I'm sure they would perform identically. Actually I've never heard of the hurricane. Other than the one's that hit my home state.

Yeah...that's gotta suck...I've never lived in Florida for that very reason. I gotta agree with you on the lack of activity...kinda bugging me...I mean, I'm here at work, and what I am supposed to do if no one posts?

Yeeeeaaah buddy! You know I do! I work at a hospital so I jack iodophor, filters, alcohol swabs, you name it. I was gonna sneak out with a canister of medical grade oxygen, but I'm allergic to jail.

ScubaSteve said:
I'm here at work, and what I am supposed to do if no one posts?

LOL I am in the same boat here. At work sitting here wondering...Where is everyone? Why are there no new posts? Everyone else must be passed out from enjoying lots of homebrew :tank:

I'm at work too.. wish I was at home right now getting my gear ready for tomorrow's brew session. I'd be putting away some HBrew also!

And my wife wonders why I start drinking the minute I come through the door....:p

ScubaSteve said:
What is the difference between this (The Banjo): http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm and this (The Hurricane): http://www.northernbrewer.com/burners.html ??? I can clearly see that they are rated at different BTU's and use different regulators, but as for the size, shape, and appearance of the burner...they look the same! Anybody got insight?

I have the hurricane and I can tell you it looks almost exactly like Edwort's banjo burner when I fire it up. I have to use it at about 40% throttle so that the flames don't flare up around the sides of my 7.5 gal stock pot and waste the heat. I can get 5 gal up to a boil in no time. I bought the new burner with half a tank of propane left, and still have at least 1/3 tank left after 3 full length full boil brews (including an AG where I had it going for basically 2 hours). I anticipate getting 10+ (extract) batches out of each tank full, we'll see.

I guess what I'm getting at is that either will do plenty fine for you, so whichever is more accessible to you then go for it. I happen to have Midwest Brewing Supply as my LHBS so I just picked mine up from there.

I already got 2 of the Banjo burners (burners only) and a 20 PSI regulator. I hope the 20 PSI will be a good mix of power and efficiency. I'm just a gear nut and always like to see what else is out there. Actually...I have an NB catalog in the John and I always seem to turn to the page with the Hurricane burner....so that was the source of my curiosity

Ha....not quite....I'm a homebrew kinda guy, and not really into taking drugs....just giving them :)

OK Guys,
I've read all of the burner threads I can find. I'm building a 3 tier system using the same dimensions as Nick's (25"T X 22"W X62"L). I will be using propane. I will currently be brewing 10 gal. AG with the possibility of going larger. What do ya'll think for burners and why? Thanks for the help - Dwain

I bought a Hurricane burner from Northernbrewer and it DOESN NOT come with the orifice to actually make it work. The BANJO does and costs $4 less. Looks like the EXACT same burner. Makes no sense. FYI the Hurricanes are currently out of stock. Go figure. Got a complaint in to NB for my GD orifices.

Sigh.

has no one said that the hurricane burner can be run on natural gas and the banjo can't?

I'm not sure but I'll post anyway. It all may depend on the regulator as to which burner you choose. Don't quote me on this. If I had more time I'd google it myself. Just browsing through here and saw this resurrected thread.

I had the same question about running the Banjo on natural gas, and here is what Northern Brewer said:

"Although it is possible to use the Banjo burner on natural gas the manufacturer does not recommend it because performance suffers greatly. The manufacturer does not sell a valve for this purpose."

I bought a Hurricane burner from Northernbrewer and it DOESN NOT come with the orifice to actually make it work. The BANJO does and costs $4 less. Looks like the EXACT same burner. Makes no sense. FYI the Hurricanes are currently out of stock. Go figure. Got a complaint in to NB for my GD orifices.

Sigh.

The reason why is that the Banjo only works with high pressure propane. The hurricane can work with either propane or natural gas. The manufacturer doesn't know what you plan to use it for so when purchasing the Hurricane Burner you need to select and purchase the correct orifice for your application (natural gas or propane).

I'm running propane and the orifice i have in the burners i guess is too small. They are barely lit and seem to blow out. I have tried truning down the tank, the regulator and the valve to the burner, but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

I'm running propane and the orifice i have in the burners i guess is too small. They are barely lit and seem to blow out. I have tried truning down the tank, the regulator and the valve to the burner, but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Is the restrictor plate open? Opening the restrictor plate lets more air in to mix with the gas for more flame.

Ok guys, I want to be able to boil a 10g batch from 80 degrees in under an hour can I do it with say a 6" burner or do I need to run a banjo 10"?

What burner, regulator & orifice are you using? If it is the Hurricane, they run on low pressure propane with a low pressure regulator. Or they can run on NG with the drilled out valve/orifice that NB or Williams Brewing sells.

Back