5 gallon water buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha450

Reaction score
Are 5 gallon water buckets ok to use for a secondary fermenter? I have one and I was thinking about sterilizing and using it. It is a 5 gallon clear Culligan water bucket.

Well, I did a search on the internet and found that it isn't recommended. Oh well, I guess I will just stick with the single stage brewing for this batch. I was just wanting to avoid some of the settlement in the bottles.

Go and buy another bucket / carboy / barrel

I only just started doing secondary and it really cuts out the amount of crap in the bottle.
:mug:

To answer the question, it depends on whether the number in the recycle symbol on the bottom is a "1" (PET, good to go) or a "7" (unspecified plastic mix, no good for homebrewing).

Won't be as good as a carboy, better bottle or ale pail but if it's all you got, you don't want to spend the money then use it.

It's your beer and it'll probably be good regardless of what you put it in.

I asked someone in the bakery of our local supermarket if I could have some of the buckets that icing/fillings come in. I picked up 2 five gallon plastic buckets and 3 or 4 smaller ones just for the asking.

Back