yeast in a mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I am doing a 1 gallon traditional batch of mead (5 gram package of Lalvin 71B) and beer smith calls for .3 of a pkg would you just add all 5 grams of yeast or do less?

I've never done less than a 5 gallon batch of mead. But I guess since I do have a small mg capable scale, I would probably use the partial package for the 1 gallon batch and if it worked ok, then I would have enough left to make two more batches.

If I am doing a 1 gallon traditional batch of mead (5 gram package of Lalvin 71B) and beer smith calls for .3 of a pkg would you just add all 5 grams of yeast or do less?
You can use about 1/2 a packet & be totally fine. 71B is a pretty hearty yeast. I do recommend it be rehydrated with GoFerm to maximize your chances. Put the remainder in the fridge until your next batch....(because you KNOW you're making more😏😉😄)

thanks for the fast comback, it is good to have people that know things...
It's all about helping people who don't know or are unsure. We were all newbies once, & we all had help from more experienced mazers, myself included. I still consider myself a newbie of sorts. I've only been making mead a little over 2 years. But, in that time, with the help of others on here & a LOT of reading of older & new posts, I have become a much better mead maker. Now I can make a very drinkable product instead of jet fuel.
I encourage you to take some time to do some reading on this site. It will help you so much in the long run.

Back