Yeast fermentation experiment - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMasterRace

Enthusiastic Homebrewer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As it's winter in California I decided to run an experiment. I generally ferment in my fridge but it's currently in use by a keg.

I got an OG on my wort of 1.062 and am fermenting like I did when I first started extract brewing, in the closet.

The experiment is regarding how much flavor would Windsor yeast impart on an IPA that is going for fruity characters.

Checked the temp last night during aggressive fermentation, ambient in my apartment of 70 beer was at 74, thought not to warm. Checked this morning- Ambient of 68 and beer is sitting at and toasty 78. I believe I've researched in the past and saw that Windsor may impart a Bubble gum flavor.

So on to the experiment, If a warm and aggressive fermentation will impact the flavor of an IPA.

I should state my grain bill and hop quantity

12 lbs of 2-row
1lb Munich malt

.8 Oz saaz at boil
1oz centennial and cascade at 15
1 Oz citra and lemon drop at flameout
1 oz lemon drop for 7 days (dry hop)
1 Oz lemon drop for 4 days (dry hop)

1 and a half packet of Windsor yeast

The Yeast cake at the bottom was a lot smaller than i had expected with this high of an ABV (6.6%) - But i did get a good final gravity of 1.011 which is what i was expecting it to end around.

The beer did taste very hoppy and i didn't notice off flavors, won't know for sure until it's carbed and ready to go.

Back