YAT on Natural Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
OK I've been on the fence on this for years mainly due to costs of cutting concrete plumbing etc... Most of the threads I see are fairly old so I wanted to make sure some of the newest thoughts and parts I may not have uncovered yet.

My newish neighbor likes beer AND works for the gas company..... So he's offered equipment and my back to trench the side yard, he will plumb the lines for free. So to start out, were going to start by extending the garage feed and tap that for my gas supply. I plan to run whatever it was 3/4 or 1" from the current plugged Tee to the front of the garage where I plan to use a QD hose probably 1/2" to my brew stand.

My brew stand currently has a propane distribution using 1/2 inch black pipe with gas 1/4 turn valves and 3/8 copper to the existing BG-10 burners.

If I order the BG-14 "High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner" and the Williams Brewing "HURRICANE NATURAL GAS CONVERSION VALVE" or the Blichmann Natural Gas Conversion Kit for Blichmann Floor Burner....

Aside from the obvious gas hose, is there anything else I should be aware of?

I would like to possibly automate the HLT some day....

I know this is well hashed but I need to know as I'm short on funds and don't want to fund the govt on taxes making it work...

If you're running BG-14 burners and switching to NG, you really only need the larger orifice fitting. You could just drill out your LPG orifice to the larger diameter and call it a day (if I knew the diameter I'd lay that out there but I'd have to go look for it).

The Williams Brewing fitting combines the NG orifice with a needle valve. The valve may come in handy when you go to automate your rig, as you could tune the gas valve for desired flame height and let the solenoid handle it from there. I'd opt for that if I was fortunate enough to be in the same situation (I live in the proverbial sticks where people are outnumbered by deer, cows and horses and there ain't no gas trunk within five miles of my home)...

Cheers!

I cut the drywall in my living room by my fireplace valve and cut a line in to my back patio where I brought a 3/4" gas line out. It was way easier to patch a little drywall then run a trench out to the meter!

All I did was drill out the orifice's on my burners and they work like a charm.

Back