Wyeast 3944

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcom87

Reaction score
I brewed a Witbier yesterday and used Wyeast 3944 for the first time. This morning (about 18 hours later) I checked on it and saw my airlock filled with foam, and foam covered the top of my carboy. I cleaned it out and tried it again, and almost immediately it started backing up with foam again. I finally decided to ditch the airlock and use a blow off tube. Now it's bubbling like crazy, and every minute or so it blows off a huge bubble (which was probably what was clogging my airlock). I feel more comfortable with it now, but damn this is an active strain. Has anyone experienced this with this strain? Wyeast's website shows attenuation at 72-76, but it seems to have taken off like crazy. I guess that's a good thing, as long as I can manage the foam.

Lesson learned, use a blow off tube every time. At least it wasn't a full blowout.

3944 is a true top-cropper. I believe the Wyeast website even suggests to make sure you have ample headspace in the fermenter. This has nothing to do with attenuation, though.

Great yeast - makes a fine wit.

3944 is a true top-cropper. I believe the Wyeast website even suggests to make sure you have ample headspace in the fermenter. This has nothing to do with attenuation, though.

Great yeast - makes a fine wit.
Yeah it sure is! 48 hours later and it's still bubbling away like crazy. Thanks for the response.

Back