Wyeast 2112 California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will soon brew an Anchor Steam using Wyeast 2112 yeast. The Wyeast website indicates the 2112 yeast temp is 58-68F. My basement brewery, where primary will occur, is currently 61F. I know active fermentation normally can add 10F to the ambient temp. I have 2 temp controlled fermentation chambers, beverage center, where I can easily control the primary temp by splitting the brew in half and fermenting inside the beverage centers. However, since my basement brewery is 61F is there an easy way to keep things cool during primary fermentation using my normal Blichmann 14.5 conical fermenter?

Perhaps a box fan blowing over the conical fermenter?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Wrap it with a wet towel (spray it down with more water periodically) and use the fan. The evaporation of the water will provide a lot of cooling.

I've learned that I have a strong preference for running 2112 at 60F. Even at 60F, 2112 will throw some esters, so anything above that tends to eat into the "lager-like" qualities of the strain. If I were in your shoes, I'd use the fermentation chambers. In fact, why not run one at 60F and the other at 64F?

Also, when it comes time to pitch, be aware that 2112 flocs into a gooey blob on the bottom of your starter vessel. You're going to have to agitate your vessel very aggressively to get that stuff up into suspension. If you decant your starters, it really helps to leave a bit of extra fluid in your vessel to help break up the yeast and get it back into suspension.

Back