WY5335

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkbrews

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew my first sour. Boiled the LME to make a wort, then chilled it to about 100degrees and pitched the yeast - WY5335. Before pitching the yeast I added water to make it 5 gallons. After that I did more research and realized I probably should not have added the extra water and should not have used 5335.
1. reccomendations for yeast to make a sour ipa from Imperial or Wyeast (these are the only companies I found that have a kosher certification for their wild yeast).
2. is this batch ruined? if my pot isn't big enough for 5 gallons when Im ready to reboil and add the hops, can i do it in batches?

There’s nothing wrong with using 5335 for a sour ipa. Just pitch your favorite ipa yeast now. You won’t get as much character out of your yeast as you are used to because of the acid.

Not sure what you’re saying about the water addition to get your 5 gal volume. Did you use about 6lbs of malt extract? Then it’ll be fine. If not just add more now.

You can boil your hops in batches. No problem. Just to cover all the bases, you pitch the yeast after you boil.

next time try this method:
Fast Souring - Modern Methods

I was aiming for the kettle sour method but i boiled the 6lb extract with about 2.5 gallons of water then moved it to my primary fermenter and added water to make it 5 gallons then pitched the lacto. Seems like i should've kept it in the pot and add the lacto in the smaller amount of water.

Wow, interesting. I haven't heard of the co souring method but it seems like I'm more set up for that so I'll give it a try. So to clarify, I'm going to add the yeast now and let it sit till its sour enough then add the hops.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back