would this 'hoppy saison x floral/citrus IPA' work??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I've got a batch of fresh bottles doin' their thing and I'm stuck with nothing to do myself! I want to get brewing again pretty soon but instead of running out and buying another extract kit, I would like to try something more personalized. My target style for this frankenbeer is like a very hoppy saison x floraly/citrusy IPA and still achieve close to a 7% ABV. I have looked at a few posted AG saison recipes on here and tweaked some of the hops. Here is what I've 'created', how do you all (who know much more than I do) think it would turn out?

7lbs Pilsen DME
.75lbs White Wheat
.5lbs Caramel/Crystal 30L
.5lbs CaraMunich
.5lbs Flaked Oats
1.5lbs Honey (to be added 5 minutes before flameout)

Hop (Pellet) Schedule

1oz Fuggle 60 min
1oz Cascade 30 min
.5oz Galena 15 min
.5oz Galena 15 min
.5oz Glacier 15 min

I'm planning to use WLP644 because of its high temperature tolerance.

I imagine brew day would go about like this:
Bring 3 gallons of distilled water to 155-160 degrees and steep specialty grains. Bring to a gentle boil and add 7lbs of DME, stir in and add 1oz fuggle and boil for 30 minutes, add 1oz Cascade boil for 15, then add .5oz each Cascade, Galena, Glacier. Add Honey with 5 minutes before flameout. Cool wort, top off to 5 gallons with distilled water rand pitch in my starter at about 65 degrees. (I've never made or used a starter and I'm stoked!)

I know this will make beer, but will it make what I have in mind? Bright, floral, citrus hoppy saison-esque brew? Since I am new to all of this I am quite open to any and all criticism, opinions, thoughts or suggestions. Thanks for your read!

I based this recipe off of a post I found on HBT:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=254684

Last edited:
I was going to use the WLP644 for its heat tolerance and tropical flavors, but maybe I should stick to a more traditional saison yeast? I almost think I need more hop additions, too. Should I dry hop this?

I would use a more standard Saison yeast and I would dry hop, but maybe you should split, so you do a half of batch with dry hop and one half without?

Latest posts

Back