Worst brew day ever... at least I have all my fingers and hair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipen

Reaction score
It started just after I get a fresh fill on the propane tank. I put it beside the sliding door to go out to the deck, grabbed a few things and "uh oh, I know that smell"... Either the guy overfilled it, or they don't fill by weight, but either way the over pressure outlet was puffing gas. straight outside and it continued to do that for an hour.

Fast forward, I made an unholy mess of the kitchen when I decided to decoction mash at the last minute before mashing in just as my wife is taking everything out to feed our daughter. At least there were no tears. Otherwise OK though, hit the temps I wanted anyway.

So I have this kettle on a burner at floor level because I have a nice new pump, I don't need gravity. I look at it a minute or two later, and the thing is a fire ball. I run out to adjust the gas, and on inspection on, the valve and line is frozen solid and it's leaking liquid propane. It looks like some liquid is getting out the hose into the flame. flame off, line off. It's hard as a rock.

So I switch to the new burner. Expecting it to freeze up a little, I go get a towel and some hot water. Huge difference, the flame is nice and hot. The towel freezes to the valve. I go get a large bin and put the tank inside. I slowly start pouring warm water over the tank, and the over pressure valve just freaking lets go. Billows of gas are streaming out. I ran as fast as I've ever ran before, expecting the sound of a massive ball of fire and the smell of burning hair.

It stops, I run over put the flame out, and look for new underwear.

So now I'm not about it chance it. I pump the wort into several kettles on my stove and proceed to steam up the house. Apparently the microwave doesn't like that much steam, because it starts running the fan on its own.

then I get the great idea to use the submersible pump in the sink, and run the outlet into the other sink.

It dawns on me that I need another piece of tubing for the pump, so I have to cut one in half

Now I can't position things properly, so I have this crazy setup with stools, clamps, rope, suspending parts so I can recirculate the wort down to 50-ish F (brewing a lager)

My outlet hose isn't long enough, and the other one is frozen solid, so I decide to rotate 6 gallon brew buckets which I have lots of, even though I ferment in glass.

Well, you can only do this so long before you forget to swap out a bucket, and hear that heart sinking waterfall sound as water cascades across the wood floor.

my usually nice whirlpool worked for shiznit so I sucked up about 1/3 of the hop garbage, no biggie to me though.

It's in the carboy sitting at 54 on its way down to 51. I boiled off only half a gallon more than I wanted, which is ok, but annoying. So much for that 5 minute addition being 5. At least I remembered the whirlfloc.

Now it's after 8:30, I've got the worst kitchen nightmare you've every seen since a bad episode of Hoarders, I haven't eaten all day, and I definitely haven't had a drink.

This was supposed to be the most efficient brew to-date, but it's like WW-III in there.

I hate winter.

I'll just leave this here....

lost-dog.jpg

Dude. I'm sorry for the test by fire and associated mini-disasters, but that was the funniest thing I've read in quite awhile.

Kudos for surviving all that - especially that propane prv discharge. That'd likely have been Game Over for me...

Cheers!

Um...can you send me a bottle or two of this brew when it's done, because it will probably turn out to be the best beer mankind has ever made

Did I mention that I was set up on a picnic table at 6 am to start and it was 20 out?
Smashing pumpkin = 10 lbs grain and 10 lbs canned pumpkin.

tried to do a single infusion medium body batch sparge with my new 10 gallon Rubbermaid MT and an 8 gallon pot on a new Dark Star burner...

Brewersfriend said to set the strike to 165 and so i did. Mixed it and found that the temperature had dropped to 127. I didn't think that would work so I tried running a line from the MT to a pump back into the whirlpool feed on my BK with a line dropping from my BK right back into the MT.

I think this would have worked, sort of, if it wasn't for the pumpkin. I like to think of it as orange mortar because it settled to the bottom and clogged the false bottom so no wort would come out of the valve on the MT.

I have a two foot whisk that I use to mix in extract when i brew on the stove, so I go that and started stirring. As long as I was stirring wort was flowing to the pump, through the pump, and into the BK. So I was able to get to my mashing temp after 50 minutes by pumping, mixing and regulating the valves on the pump, the BK and the MT.
After fighting with the MT for 2 Hours I moved over to the BK to start my full boil. Luckily it had warmed up to 27. so it only took another 45 minutes to get to a full boil. let that run for an hour and forgot to put in the whirlfloc at the end.
Got ready to chill with my sweet jadedbrewing IC. I added a prechiller that I put into a cooler filled with salted ice water to get the incoming water really cold. Attached my hose and turned it on only to find it frozen, I remembered an old hose that leaks stowed in the spider's lair under the from porch and was able to get that set up only to find my prechiller frozen.
Filled a picklebucket with hot water and soaked my prechiller until it passed water and then let the chillers do their thing with a whirlpool. I was so proud I got from full boil to 80 degrees in sub 32 weather in 45 minutes.

I topped of the carboy to five gallons before taking a measurement which now read 1.042 when it should have been like 1.054.
I added a pound of corn sugar to bring it up pitched my yeast and started cleaning pumpkin out of everything.
First all-grain brewday 9 hours.
When i racked to a secondary I was left with 3.5 gallons because of the pumpkin. Bottled 36 beers last week and waiting to see if I will try this one again.
Probably will wait until it gets above freezing to try another all grain brew day, but I am tempted to try something sooner than that.
But I feel your pain/joy, it really is about the beer.

-t

You should submit this to Scott at The Brewing Network. They have a segment on one of their programmes that's all about brewing disasters.

Did I mention that I was set up on a picnic table at 6 am to start and it was 20 out?

-t
Frosty high five. good read.

Thankfully all my carboys are filled, so here's to hibernating the gear until spring. Hope your pipeline is filled.

Haha! This sounds almost exactly how my brew day went. Got my propane filled, frozen regulator, had a fireball, brought kettle inside and brewed on the stove. I couldn't use my immersion cooler because everything outside was frozen. So I had to cool in the bath tub. Luckily I wasn't doing a lager.

longest brew day ever! I feel your pain

Frosty high five back. Can our pipeline ever be filled? I went back to extract until it warms up. Too many recipes, too little time. Now I just need more friends to "help" me with my inventory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Back