WLP001 Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the implication is...the dry wlp001 is genetically inferior?
Not genetically, but it's known that the stress of drying does affect yeast. It's the flip side of the observation that dried yeast are often felt to do better in their second generation, when effectively you have the same genetics, but in liquid form without the stress of drying.

This is from mid-April 2023.

1691238696761.png

I know 11 tasters on one blind test is not really that big a deal but I do think that in this one isolated case, a preference of 2 to 1 is pretty significant. How about people preferring WLP001 liquid to US05 10:1?

I just know that if I'm making an IPA, I was already more prone to use a liquid chico strain vs US05 but I'm pretty sure that's going to be a conclusion for me until otherwise convinced.

a preference of 2 to 1 is pretty significant.

From a stats POV - it literally isn't. Even if they were completely equal, you'd expect one or other of them to be preferred by 5 or fewer 30% of the time. And that's before you get into potential biases like the order in which they were tasted.

Look at it another way - only 2 people would have to change their mind for it to be 8:7, maybe they got dirty glasses or whatever.

Also a simply yes/no doesn't capture all the differences, you're forcing people into a binary decision whereas perhaps all the people who preferred liquid would score it 9 points out of 10, versus 8 points for dry, but the people who liked the dry really liked it, like 9 versus 6. If you scored that way, the dry would win. [I'm not saying that was the case, it's just an example of how the scoring system can affect things].

How about people preferring WLP001 liquid to US05 10:1?

Again, not significant, but 1 in 16 preferring US-05 is getting into significant territory, assuming you've controlled properly for effects like taste order.

Statistics is no fun....

wasn't complimentary about wlp001 dry...
... or US-05 or M44 (and BRY-97 wasn't included).

Personally, I'm not "reading" too much into any single split batch side-by-side comparison.

Over time, it will be interesting to see sets of trials comparing combinations of
  • liquid WLP001
  • "nth generation re-pitch" from dry WLP001
  • "pitch a starter" made from dry WLP001 (Note that a recent Experimental Brewing (episode 178?) has some discussion (and 'new to me' information) about pitching a starter made from dry yeast). Also LalBrew Diamond™ | Lallemand Brewing has a link to an article in their best practices series on making a starter with dry yeast.

Last edited:
... or US-05 or M44 (and BRY-97 wasn't included).

Personally, I'm not "reading" too much into any single split batch side-by-side comparison.

Over time, it will be interesting to see sets of trials comparing combinations of
  • liquid WLP001
  • "nth generation re-pitch" from dry WLP001
  • "pitch a starter" made from dry WLP001 (Note that a recent Experimental Brewing (episode 178?) has some discussion (and 'new to me' information) about pitching a starter made from dry yeast). Also LalBrew Diamond™ | Lallemand Brewing has a link to an article in their best practices series on making a starter with dry yeast.

Maybe not, but are you rushing out to buy a $10 pack of dry yeast?

Maybe not, but are you rushing out to buy a $10 pack of dry yeast?
Last spring, I picked a couple of WLP001 dry (including one free) from Williams (also got a couple of packages Apex San Diego). A recent order from ritebrew included a couple of packages of BRY-97 (ritebrew). So the yeast is in place.

Over the last couple of months, I refined a couple of recipes. So the recipes are in place.

I'll probably do a couple "split fermentation" batches over the next two or three months.

eta: if for a recipe, I find that WLP001 dry at $10.00 / pack produces a better result than BRY-97 at $5.00, I'll buy WPL001 dry.

Last edited:
On a related note, I just listened to a webinar from Escarpment Labs on their dry strain "House Ale." The info was that it was English in origin with a flavor profile more similar to a Chico strain, with a little higher attenuation rate. They have it listed for $10 from their site. They mentioned Great Fermentations as a US vendor of their yeasts, but they don't yet have this strain listed. The webinar should be available on their YouTube channel in a day or so.

Personally, I am not that excited about $10 packs of dry yeast, but I guess some of the Lallemand strains are already in the $7 to $8 range at stores around me.

https://escarpmentlabs.com/collections/active-dry-yeast-1/products/eyl-dry-el-d1-11

On a related note, I just listened to a webinar from Escarpment Labs on their dry strain "House Ale." The info was that it was English in origin with a flavor profile more similar to a Chico strain, with a little higher attenuation rate. They have it listed for $10 from their site. They mentioned Great Fermentations as a US vendor of their yeasts, but they don't yet have this strain listed. The webinar should be available on their YouTube channel in a day or so.

Personally, I am not that excited about $10 packs of dry yeast, but I guess some of the Lallemand strains are already in the $7 to $8 range at stores around me.
$7-8? Time to shop around.

$7-8? Time to shop around.
Exactly! Kill off all the local homebrew shops by jumping to the cheapest prices you can find on the Internet! I am fine with spending a few extra of my dollars to support my friends' shops that support my local homebrewing community with locations for meetings, hosting competitions, prize donations, etc.

Kill off all the local homebrew shops by jumping to the cheapest prices you can find on the Internet! I am fine with spending a few extra of my dollars to support my friends' shops that support my local homebrewing community with locations for meetings, hosting competitions, prize donations, etc.
Congratulations on having a LHBS that does all of those things. My LHBS just sells stuff. Their prices are mostly quite competitive, but they are distinctly non-competitive on some things and certain yeast strains are among those things. I support them plenty, but I don't go out of my way to buy overpriced items from them.

Exactly! Kill off all the local homebrew shops by jumping to the cheapest prices you can find on the Internet! I am fine with spending a few extra of my dollars to support my friends' shops that support my local homebrewing community with locations for meetings, hosting competitions, prize donations, etc.
We don't all have local homebrew shops. And not all of us have tons of money to spare for a hobby and have to get the best deals we can.

S05 has always been one of my least favorite of the chico-strains, with WLP001 my #1. When I’ve had to use dry yeast, BRY-97 was the one I chose first for my American pale ales and IPAs but I found that I liked S04 at cooler temperatures (low 60s) over S05.

Since Ritebrew only sells Omega and Wyeast, I’m currently using Wyeast 1275 at low temperatures for many of my IPAs/APAs and I have some Omega 004 for my next. I like those nearly as much as the WLP001 (but not quite) for my tastes. I doubt I’d choose a dry yeast that I would like less than S05 when those yeast strains are easily available to me.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anybody brewed with the WLP001 dry yet? I am getting ready to give it a go and just curious what I should expect, or is it better to take a ride to my local Morebeer for some BRY97?

I have a batch bottle conditioning (SNPA-ish Pale Ale) and a batch ready to bottle (Brown Ale). Currently, I'm pitching a little warmer (69F), letting the wort finish cooling to about 67F, then holding around 67F.

I've used it in a few split batches.
What was your fermentation profile / timeline?

Over in the parallel topic (link), there were some recent concerns about diacetyl based on a data point from White Labs brewing labs. Any observations on that?

I am getting ready to give it a go and just curious what I should expect, or is it better to take a ride to my local Morebeer for some BRY97?
If you can wait a couple of months, you may get better answers (or additional) answers.

For my next batches with WLP001 (dry), I will continue pitch at or above 67F, and ferment at 67F for a couple of days. Like a number other strains of yeast, as a precaution (diacetyl), I'll raise the wort temperature to around 70F for a number of days and maybe run a test for it.

Mean while, I have a batch (standard strength brown ale) with BRY-97 that started within 12 hours! Slight over pitch at 69F which cooled down to 67F. Plenty of head space in the fermenter so no "blow-off" (yet).

... for future readers (when only date is displayed), it's about six hours later in the day

me (8:00 am)"Plenty of head space in the fermenter"
BRY-97 (8:15 am)game on!
me (11:30 am)(quietly cleaning up a blow-off).
BRY97 has been the only yeast thus far that has been active enough to plug my airlock with krausen and blow the seal off the bucket lid with an Oring on it. And yes, it made quite a nice mess inside the fridge/fermenter and on the floor in the living room where I keep it. LOL.

Back