Wiring diagram to Canadian code?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peam

Reaction score
The time has finally come that I can't find the answer I'm looking for on here.
So a long story short, would this diagram of PJ's be up to code here in Canada (more specifically Ontario)
http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30a-e-stop-3a.jpg
I'm more or less being forced to have my panel inspected and certified. There was maybe a little worry about high limit controls from an electrician, however he has no experience with system controls.
This panel of course is fed by a 50a spa panel which to my understanding is fine with the 30a breaker

While I cannot answer the question fully, I would definitely drop the shunt to ground to trip the GFCI estop. That would likely raise concerns. Instead, have the estop switch a normally open contactor that feeds all power to the remainder of the panel.

That's actually something I feared might raise an eyebrow. Great solution to fixing that problem. Thanks! Hopefully I'll have good luck on the rest of my issues too

Make sure everything associated with that panel has a CSA or equivalent symbol on it.
It's ok to feed a 50a panel with a 30a bkr but not the other way around.

I just got home now and going through all my parts as I type this. The expensive stuff has CSA :ban: just have to check to see if the rest of this stuff is recognized.

I just got home now and going through all my parts as I type this. The expensive stuff has CSA :ban: just have to check to see if the rest of this stuff is recognized.

There are many designations that are ok to be used in Canada. Except for CSA they all have a small 'c'added in front of them.
*example* - cUL cETL

CE is not a Canadian standard, it is European

Unfortunately for me all the switches I ordered from Auberins are using the CE designation.

Unfortunately for me all the switches I ordered from Auberins are using the CE designation.

That may end up being troublesome. Maybe discuss it with our electrician and see what he thinks? I am pretty sure in BC those would be a problem.

That may end up being troublesome. Maybe discuss it with our electrician and see what he thinks? I am pretty sure in BC those would be a problem.

I have a friend of a friend helping me out now that's experienced in control systems. All the CE designated switches have to go and the E-stop is likely to be the biggest issue as is. I've been told the inspectors here are less concerned with the wiring but focus mainly on the parts being approved bodies

I have a friend of a friend helping me out now that's experienced in control systems. All the CE designated switches have to go and the E-stop is likely to be the biggest issue as is. I've been told the inspectors here are less concerned with the wiring but focus mainly on the parts being approved bodies

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Could have probably been worse though.

Back