Will this dryer motor work for motorizing my mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newB_newyorker

Reaction score
I have an old dryer that is being replaced so I snagged the motor out of it. It's a single phase ¼ horsepower motor. I see a lot of people recommending 1/2 hp motors for grain mills. Do you think it's strong enough to crush grain?
Dryer motor.jpg

I see several issues not to use your dryer motor:
1. It is an open frame motor, no protection against electrical shock or moisture/water.
2. It needs gear reduction since that motor shaft spins at 1725 rpm. Motor shaft speed should be around 180 to 240 rpm for grain mills.
3. You didn't say if you have a 2 roller mill or a 3 roller mill. You might get by with a 1/4 HP motor with a 2 roller mill but I would recommend a 1/2HP motor for a 3 roller mill.

In other words, do not use your dryer motor for powering your grain mill.

I see several issues not to use your dryer motor:
1. It is an open frame motor, no protection against electrical shock or moisture/water.
2. It needs gear reduction since that motor shaft spins at 1725 rpm. Motor shaft speed should be around 180 to 240 rpm for grain mills.
3. You didn't say if you have a 2 roller mill or a 3 roller mill. You might get by with a 1/4 HP motor with a 2 roller mill but I would recommend a 1/2HP motor for a 3 roller mill.

In other words, do not use your dryer motor for powering your grain mill.

I was planning to reduce the rpm using a large pulley and a belt. I have a 2 roller mill.

A pulley/belt system can reduce the shaft speed to the desired RMP, you still have the issue of an open frame motor.

Latest posts

Back