Will tart Black Currant wine soften as it ages?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch Douthit

Reaction score
I have 12 gal. of Black Currant wine that I will be bottling after 3 months in a SS fermenter. I started with 53# of berries and an initial 14.5 gal. volume. I have back sweetened to balance the tartness, but it still has a hint of tart along with the sweet. My intention is to now bottle and age for at least 9 months. Will the additional aging mellow the wine ...a little? ...a lot? ...or should I take additional steps to reduce acidity before bottling? I have tried titrating to determine TA (total acids) and pH strips to define acidity of the brew, but the dark color of the batch (and probably my incompetency :) ) have left me scratching my head and not able to determine the TA or pH.

I made blackcurrant wine in summer 2017, based on a Jack Keller recipe with 5.5 kg blackcurrants, 3.4 kg sugar, 10.6 litres water, no added tannin or acid blend, fermented dry and not backsweetened. The initial volume was 4 gallons, so I think you used about 20% more fruit than me. Bottled in January 2018, 16 bottles. The recipe said to age at least a year, but that 3-4 years would be better.

The one we opened recently at Christmas was still rather harshly acidic, though lovely blackcurrant flavour. I tried mulling some of it, which was quite nice. I'm going to leave the remaining 6 bottles another year, and if it has not mellowed by next Christmas I'll probably mull the rest of it, or make sangria or something. It's mellowed somewhat since bottling 3 years ago, but not very much.

I made blackcurrant wine in summer 2017, based on a Jack Keller recipe with 5.5 kg blackcurrants, 3.4 kg sugar, 10.6 litres water, no added tannin or acid blend, fermented dry and not backsweetened. The initial volume was 4 gallons, so I think you used about 20% more fruit than me. Bottled in January 2018, 16 bottles. The recipe said to age at least a year, but that 3-4 years would be better.

The one we opened recently at Christmas was still rather harshly acidic, though lovely blackcurrant flavour. I tried mulling some of it, which was quite nice. I'm going to leave the remaining 6 bottles another year, and if it has not mellowed by next Christmas I'll probably mull the rest of it, or make sangria or something. It's mellowed somewhat since bottling 3 years ago, but not very much.

Sounds like I better be ready to leave the bottles corked for more that 9 months :)

Latest posts

Back