Wild strain of hops - help identifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skaedra

Reaction score
Howdy,

Hoping someone can give me some clues as to what type of hops the ones in the image may be. I got them from a wild plant growing on a telephone pole and from what land owner said- it had been there as long as he could remember - several years at least. Thanks, any hints or ideas or direction to other resources that might help identify it are helpful. It is a very vigorous growing plant and has a much redder tint to the early shoots and main bine than most others I have seen.

20140731_183049_resized.jpg

There is no way to identify a hop with only a picture. Your plant is hermaphrodite...we see more male flowers than females ones...

We also have no idea as to your location....but if you felt like sharing some wild hops, or even better, go back and collect seed as the cones begin to ripen...

We'd be happy to help.

Being a hermaphrodite narrows it down a little. Personally, I pick the male flowers off my Columbus as I don't want them pollinating the other varieties I've got growing. Having said that I'd be tempted to let them pollinate and form seeds so you can send some to PapaBearJay for an ID.

I like the suggestion (I saw on another thread) about making a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) brew with them:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hops-growing-fence-485802/#post6296860

The link to the hop variety manual in that post might well help too, although being wild they may not be any of the varieties used commercially.

Hope this helps.

Back