Why did you choose the biab method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... It takes a lot more water to rinse the grain off the bag...

I use a recirculating chilling setup that produces a bucket of hot water I use for washing, and a bucket of warm water I use for rinsing. Last step of clean up is to dunk the bag in the wash water then dunk it in the rinse water. Easy peasy, and very efficient on water usage.

We moved and the new place had 220v line in the garage. I was unsure at first but found electric brewing beats gas in so many ways. Especially because I brew indoors year round in a heated garage now.

We moved and the new place had 220v line in the garage. I was unsure at first but found electric brewing beats gas in so many ways. Especially because I brew indoors year round in a heated garage now.
It's priceless. Everytime I see somebody using propane I just shake my head. Cheers

Many seem to be trying to eliminate O2 from their brewing. Unless I'm wrong, biab requires a hot plastic bag being intimate with the wort. Call me squeamish but no thanks. I guess we all gotta die somehow;). I don't think O2 will be the culprit.

Many seem to be trying to eliminate O2 from their brewing. Unless I'm wrong, biab requires a hot plastic bag being intimate with the wort. Call me squeamish but no thanks. I guess we all gotta die somehow;). I don't think O2 will be the culprit.

Brewbags are made with 210 micron food safe polyester.

I still can't imagine getting the grain out of the folds in the cloth is easier than hosing out a mash tun. There are no folds to hold the grain.
As wepeeler says, you fold the bag inside out; eliminate the fold. Also, after the mash, I rinse the bag out, but I don't sweat every spec of grain because once the bag dries out, you can give it a few good snaps to shake it out. Any residual grain material just floats away in the breeze. Leave that stuff in a mash tun and it dries like cement.

BIAB is just easier. Less equipment, less time, smaller footprint. I brewed for years on a traditional set-up, but life changed and I needed to simplify my brewday in time and space. BIAB was the answer. Also, much easier to throw in the truck and transport for the occasional group brew.

I see so many posts about people saying that cleaning a mash tun is so much easier than a bag. I’ve done both. The answer is they’re both easy. They both require some dumping and some spraying off. In no way is one waaay easier than the other. It’s like when people say that adding a pulley system for a brew bag is too much added cost, or dangerous. Gimme a break.

I saw some you tube videos and decided to try it. After a few batches and getting tired of temperature swings during mashing, I got a round cooler and put my BIAB bag in that.

I saw some you tube videos and decided to try it. After a few batches and getting tired of temperature swings during mashing, I got a round cooler and put my BIAB bag in that.

Good choice but when you noticed the temperature changes during the mash, was that during conversion or after when the temperature isn't critical? When the grains are milled fine (as they can be for BIAB) the conversion is over quite quickly. If the temperature has fallen 2 degrees at 30 minutes but the conversion was completed in 10, that temperature falling doesn't mean much.

I still can't imagine getting the grain out of the folds in the cloth is easier than hosing out a mash tun. There are no folds to hold the grain.

I turn the bag inside out. Seams on the outside. So long as the bag is well sewn (double stitched) there's no reason not to reverse the bag.

I do reverse the bag. When you hold it by the bottom to spray it off, there are folds. They are vertical.

I'd like to have a race with one of you. I am 99% certain I could clean my tun faster.

Good choice but when you noticed the temperature changes during the mash, was that during conversion or after when the temperature isn't critical? .
Good question, but honestly, I don't really remember. This was more than a few years back, and I've done a lot of drinking since then....
:bott:
I was following directions from a book that said to stir every 15 minutes and if the temperature drops, add some heat. I'd end up overshooting my temperature and then it would drop again.
The bottom line is I didn't like the way my beer was coming out. I also didn't like spilling wort (brewing in the kitchen) when I pulled the bag out.
Adding the cooler was cheap and solved a lot of problems.
With the cooler. the temp stays with a degree or two for 60 minutes, I can do step mashes and easily hit my temps and I can also do batch or fly sparging if I want to.
Yeah its an extra item to purchase, clean and store but it was worth it for me.

That's why there are different approaches to brewing beer. There's not a one size fits all process that works for everyone. It's about what works for you and of course your budget.

Don't get me wrong, I would like a dedicated brew space with a 3V electric system, but for the mean time, I have a 240V 30A outlet in my garage, and a eBIAB setup I can store in the basement and carry up to my garage the night before a brew day. And when my day is over I carry everything back down into the basement and park my car back in the garage.

Don't get me wrong, I would like a dedicated brew space with a 3V electric system, but for the mean time, I have a 240V 30A outlet in my garage, and a eBIAB setup I can store in the basement and carry up to my garage the night before a brew day. And when my day is over I carry everything back down into the basement and park my car back in the garage.
Perfect reason to choose a biab setup. Having to break it all down is definitely a additional chore when using multiple vessels. More so when hauling it up/down stairs also. Cheers

Back