Who LOVES Winter Warmers / Holiday Ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just adore this time of year, and am a tremendous fan of Winter Warmers / Holiday ales. :ban:

I don't enjoy the over commercialization where Christmas (or rather, XMAS) starts at Halloween, I hate Black Friday (though there were some awesome brew equipment deals on the net).

I love watching the colorful holiday lights on newfallen snow, the excitement in my kids faces, and how everyone seems to be a little nicer and happier.

Some of my favorites (in no particular order): Dry Dock Barleywine, Anchor Steam Merry Christmas, Boulevard Nutcracker, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Port Santa's Little Helper, Ninkasi Slayer, St. Bernardus Christmas, Widmer Brrbon, Sam Adams Old Fezziwig, O'Dell Isolation, and how can I leave out Jewbelation! I also love some non-holiday beers that fit into this time of year- Doppelbock, dubbels, Quads, and anything barrel aged / Imperial Stout / Imperial Porter.

What are your favorite holiday treats? And Happy Holidays all :mug:

Try judging a few flights of them in a row... oh man cinnamon n nutmeg in my beer... ick.

It's actually a hard style to balance well.

I love 'em, as long as they don't have a bunch of spices added. I'm really loving SN "Celebration" and New Belgium "Abbey", and some SN "Bigfoot" that I put aside a year-and-a-half ago.

I just brewed a dubbel yesterday. (yeah, I know I should have started it a month ago)

I need to start going to the gym, or I'm gonna weight 300 pounds by New Years. :eek:

I've really grown to love Leinenkugel Snowdrift vanilla porter, one of my favorites this time of year! That and their Octoberfest have gotten near the top of my "looking forward to" list.

Leinenkugel Snowdrift. Me, too. Shiner Cheer. Sierra Nevada Celebration is okay. Lakewood Holiday Bonus is worth drinking. The orange doesn't come out too well, though.

For Halloween, I like New Castle Werewolf.

I haven't had many in a long while. I do like a good one. Not a fan of the overly spiced versions, but I do like a nice strong ale when it's colder and darker out.

I enjoyed Shiner's Holiday Cheer last year.
I had a winter warmer from RJ Rockers and Sam Adams that I rheally didn't like at all. I'm all for citrus and spices, but there's a definite limit to how much is good in beer.

Been enjoying Sierra Nevada: Celebration. A bit too much. Every day. Magic Hat: Snowroller was enjoyable in small amounts.

The yearly case of St. Nikolaus Bock Bier doesn't show up until we see our buddies in Jan/Feb though.

I'm with Homer. I like strong ales, barleywines, RIS, etc for wintertime, but if it's got a bunch of spices in it, I probably won't care for it.

I enjoyed Shiner's Holiday Cheer last year.

One of my brothers went nuts last year at Thanksgiving and bought out a store's entire stock of Shiner Cheer (granted, it was a small grocery store out in the country). He just randomly decided that it was his new favorite beer and that he had to have all of it. ALL. OF. IT.

We couldn't get rid of the stuff. Been drinking it like mad at every single family gathering since, and we finally killed the last can at this year's Thanksgiving.

I swear if I have to drink another Shiner Cheer I'll go nuts.

Shock Top Shockolate Wheat is pretty good, actually. The sweetness tastes like it comes more from the malt than candy bar cocoa or "artificial sweeteners".

Shiner Cheer is exceptionally peachy this year.

I dig holiday ales. I always buy a magnum of Anchor Holiday and put it away until the next year. I just drank the 2013 last weekend with my buddy. My wife grabbed me a 2014 magnum and 6pack. The 6 is gone now and the magnum is put away for next year.
I used to love Sam Adams Old Fezziwig. Last time I tried it, it didn't taste the same. I should get some more this year.

So far this year, Breckenridge Christmas Ale and O'Dell Isolation. They didn't have Anchor Steam MC at my liquor store! Or Boulevard nutcracker.

I just recently heard of Deschute's Jubelale. Never had it and I tend to not brew what I haven't had (like to know what I'm brewing!) but love the brewer so brewed it 9 days ago. Dry hopped tonight and Took hydro sample, very nice! Got the clone recipe from Denny's post (was a large full scale brewery recipe).

Now get this- I just found a case of this and being on the East coast this Bend, OR beer isn't typically found here I'm told. I will bring this case for a work beer exchange on Thursday (and keep at least one!).

Latest posts

Back