Witbier White Angel - A Hoppy Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP400
Yeast Starter
Not this time
Batch Size (Gallons)
25L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.3 EBC
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, starting at 17.5C
Tasting Notes
see post
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.20 kg Pilsen (BestMalz) (3.0 EBC) Grain 1 44.4 %
3.20 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 44.4 %
0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 3 6.9 %
0.30 kg Acidulated (BestMalz) (3.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.2 %
20.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 5 7.5 IBUs
40.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs
50.00 g Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -
30.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
45.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [35 Yeast 10 -
60.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.20 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 22.00 l of water at 69.7 C 64.4 C 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 14l) of 75.6 C water

I don't really have any photos because I didn't ever plan to post this. Then someone asked for it in another thread. It was a really good beer in the end, and I will definitely brew it again. I did make some small tweaks to the recipe, which is why on the pictures of the water profile, it says, "White Angel v2.1." They were mainly just equipment upgrades, and efficiency upgrades, which didn't really affect much.

Notes on what I did and why:
I didn't treat the water on this one. It was before I started doing that. Next time I brew this I will attempt to replicate the "yellow dry" profile, but I will still probably just add gypsum. I won't worry about getting the chloride up. Though this super empty water profile (besides the bicarbonate levels) works really well for this beer.

As for the hops, I didn't want to overload with lots of "out there" typical american hops, as I didn't want to steal away from the flavor of the style. But at the same time, I just ended up picking hops that I had on hand. It worked out very nicely in this strange combo. Lots of debate as to whether the bittering hops would come through in the end, but I went with a low alpha, typically spicy hop over the other ones I had the choice of. I wanted the Northern Brewer (the German version, although I'm sure the US one will still work just the same) and the cascade to play on each other, with then just the fruity aroma from galaxy coming in at the end. I think cascade is a good choice no matter what other hop combos one is to try in this style, because I feel like they adapt to whatever else is going on with the other flavor compounds, and end up complementing them. I actually did a 30 min hopstand, but I type it in as 0 in order to get no IBU calculations for it, as I cool to below 75C first. This takes about 2 minutes with the super cold water here, so there's practically no more isomerization going on. All the hops went into a hop bag except the hopstand and dry hop additions. I also just threw the coriander and orange peels directly in. Anything not bagged went into the fermenter.

For the yeast, according to most calculators, I severely under-pitched. I just used one pack of the new White Labs pure pitch packets. It says, I believe, pitch directly into 5 gallons (19 liters) of up to 1.060 OG wort. So I figured I would really only be slightly under-pitching, which is exactly what I wanted. I chilled down to 17.5C, which is the ambient room temp where I fermented. I then let the beer rise on its own free will. The warmest that it got was 22C. I went with starting cool because I wanted to try to coax out more of the clove flavors than the estery flavors. I also did a cold crash for 5 days, but I didn't use gelatin, as I wanted it a bit cloudy. But by the time I kicked the keg, it had pretty much cleared out.

If you try this one, let me know how it worked out for you! When I brew it again, I'll be sure to post pictures and updates.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Back