What's The Limit on Cold Pitching Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcquill1

Reaction score
I pitched a healthy, decanted starter of WLP810 to a Cal Common and realized afterwards that my wort was colder than I had anticipated at around 51-52F. I intended to pitch in the upper 50's and ferment at 60 for this brew. I decided last night to let it slowly warm up to the recommended 58-60 degree fermentation temperature. Woke up this morning and the yeast are bubbling and seem happy.

I was expecting a longer lag with the low pitch temperature, but it's doing just fine! This observation leads me to my question about what's the limit on how cold you can pitch yeast? In "Yeast, The Practical Guide to Fermentation" it states that 1-3 degree below target fermentation is the optimal starting temp, but I'm not sure why. I understand this number could vary according to style and strain of yeast, but it left me to wonder if there were any consequences, considerations or benefits pitching 5-10 degree below the target ferment temp? Since WLP810 is a lager strain and can ferment down to 50, is it safe to assume that my error pitching cold and slowly ramping up has little to no consequence of the final product? Thanks all.

Pitching colder than the range probably just means you had a longer lag phase for the yeast (usually lasts 3 to 15 hours). You can be warmer during the lag phase *as long as* you lower the target temperature before the growth phase begins.

The critical time for having the correct temperature is the exponential growth phase when the airlock is popping fast (1 to 4 days). That’s when most flavor byproducts are produced.

Last edited:
I've never had any problems pitching colder...as long as it's not like fridge temp (then the yeast will go to sleep).
My main problems have been pitching way too hot...

Back