what's a ultra low watt density element (ULWD)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
I got my electric boil kettle set up with a 5500 W element.

Brewed a few batches and things tasted pretty good. Now the last two batches have a scorched flavor. Came on the forum today and BOOM already two threads on scorched beer. HBT is awesome.

I read through them and have a hard time keeping up with all your jargon. But here is what I am thinking. . .

My problem may be because the element I have is just a cheapo High Watt Density element. My element just has one loop that doesn't even fold back on itself.

But I'm not certain that switching to a ULWD element will fix it.

The reason is because my element doesn't look blackened. It looks like it has a lime scale on it instead. I tried cleaning it off after the first batch or two but only ended up scratching in to the metal so I backed off. The other reason is that the first couple batches turned out just fine.

Will this scale form on a ULWD?

Is the scale even part of the scorching problem? If so how to clean it off and/or prevent it? Does calcium, lime, rust cleaner (CLR) work?

I know someone suggested bar keepers friend (BKF) but my element does not look black like the one in the other thread.

Last edited:
Other information that may be pertinent:

15 gallon boil Kettle
5500W x 240V element
Mash in separate vessel, vorlauf, then boil.
100% to bring to boil, then turn down to 60% to maintain boil
O.G. of wort at point of pitching yeast is 1.038 - 1.042

Get the ULWD. They're recommended in high mineral content water to prevent scale build up. They're cooler per square inch. Mineral build up can make the element run hotter.

OK. I switched with a ULWD. I see why it scorched. The mineral buildup must have gotten so thick that it insulated the element from the wort. The element did not get the cooling effect of the wort passing over it and it scorched the "scale" that was building up.

When I removed the old element I was actually able to chip off the scale fairly easily this time. Underneath everything was black!

I've had issues with LWD at full power. I switched to ULWD ripple style and all is good even in pale lagers. I also found it very helpful to have control via ssr. Once I hit boil I can turn it down to avoid excessive boil and darkening.

Back