What wort chiller for 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Another post about changing my system. I’ve been using a 25 foot copper immersion chiller. It’s gotten old over time and I’m worried that through the years of flexing, it’ll soon break.

I bought a 1/2inch 50 foot stainless immersion chiller. It’s just barely too big for my pot. Accessories like thermometer and dip tube won’t let it fit. It’s also too tall for a 5 gallon batch.

I could go with a 25 foot immersion like before, only stainless. Other options are plate and counter flow.

My specific problem is ground water temp. I currently live in Death Valley, where temps are regularly at or above 100 degrees. I have been using an ice chest cooler and recirculated water using a sump pump. I am fine with that process as it worked fine with the copper immersion chiller.

I’m leaning towards a plate chiller, but I want to hear the horror stories if any, or some reassurance that responsible handling will be fine. How bad do they clog. How hard are they to clean. Can they truly be cleaned and sanitized. What else am I not thinking about.

I started using a plate chiller recently and to avoid clogs I simply use a hop spider. I have a big copper IC that works good, but I don't like having to carry it in and out of the boik kettle. With a plate chiller just pump boiling wort through it in the last 10 minutes of your boil to sanitize. Then at the end of the brew day run hot water through the chiller in reverse. Your done.

Back