What was your "I Finally Got It" moment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-3

Reaction score
This weekend I finally had my "I Got It" moment.

It's that moment when homebrewing makes sense to you, in a way that is more than just repeating facts or recommending a way to do things because that's the accepted way it is done.

It's when homebrewing is more than conversion tables and steps you take to make better beer.

My moment was this past Saturday. We were on vacation and my wife thought it would be nice to go to a local brew pub and grab a quick drink. I like Stouts more than any other style, so I always sample whatever the local brewery has when I get a chance.

We're sitting there, my wife and I each with a Vanilla Stout, the kids having a local rootbeer (it was a family friendly place). I took a taste and didn't much care for it. My wife being perceptive asked me what I thought of it.

Not wanting to be an ass, I just said quietly to her that it was ok, but I honestly think I make a better one. She agreed but then asked me why I think mine was better.

Without going too deeply into it, as I didn't want to be a beer snob in a brewpub, I said that what we were drinking was too thin and had too much roast malt in it.

THAT was my moment, I finally could understand not only what I didn't like about a beer, but also how I could fix it.

Granted, it may not be an earth shattering, reality altering moment, but I feel like I understand brewing on a better level now, and not just in a way where I can repeat what I have read because that is the accepted way.

Anyone else care to share their moment?

I've had a few. When friends try your beer the first time and say: "You made this? It's great!" You know they were ready to tell you it's good, but they are surprised how good.
When my homebrew club unanimously approved of a Belgian Strong that I made, or when one of them called my beer "professional quality".
But I still make mistakes, and I'm still striving to make better beer. I think I realized just now that I want to make the best beer I possibly can, as good or better than anything I can buy.

I don't know if I have what I'd term an "I got it" moment, but when I first brewed my Rye beer I thought "I'd pay money for this in a bar." And then when I brewed it a second time and it was even better......

I wouldn't say "I got it" quite yet, but I'd like to think I'm getting it.

And when I was trying to duplicate a local beer and needed more body, added a bit of Crystal malt based on what I'd read, and by joe, it worked! Starting to think I'm understanding this a little bit.

Naturally, having said that, I'm sure the two beers I have in fermenters will be contaminated. That's Karma for you. :)

Crystal adds unfermentable sugars, which will provide some body, but also sweetness.

For additional body I usually suggest mashing higher, or adding some flaked barley/oats/wheat/spelt/rye. Obviously rye and spelt will change the flavor profile as well, but adding flaked wheat, oats, and barley is pretty neutral at low quantities.

When I first brewed my now staple green tea and citrus session saison. The first beer where I thought that I might buy it. Where on first try I was able to make the idea I had in my head happen and it just all came together. When I then gave it to people it was universally enjoyed too, by normal and non beer drinkers more than the craft folk, but there the main comment was along the lines of "I can easily have a pint of this in the sun, but it just is not....exiting?" Yeah, it´s a session beer and no DIPA.
Anyhow, been improving it since as that marked the moment where I began being able to put my ideas in the glass succesfully.

Latest posts

Back