What if I use all these left over grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyBlueprints

Reaction score
Long story short, a friend got a serious injury, ended up handicapped and in a nursing home most of the time. His wife wanted a handicap ramp built on their 2 level deck so he could go down to the firepit when he was home, so I built one for them. I supplied the labor and materials, and they gave me his brewing equipment & supplies in exchange. Included in the inventory was a few different specialty grains. I would like to make a batch or two from the grains, and bring them some of the beer.

I am not too worried about sticking to a particular style, but I would like to combine some of these in combination with the bulk pale 2-row I already have.

These are the grains I have:

* 13 oz. Belgian Biscuit Malt
* 9 oz. Belgian Special B
* 18 oz. Simpson Chocolate
* 16 oz. Briess Carapils
* 5 oz. Crisp Brown Malt
* 10.5 oz. Flaked Wheat

I'd kinda like to combine all of them and just see what comes out, but I'm afraid it might be a mess. If I were two make two batches, what combination would you use?

Thanks!

Use it all! Its a lot of chocolate malt so your best bet is something like an Imperial Porter. Denny's BVIP comes to mind http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_bourbon_vanilla_porter.php

Roughly adapted to your grains:

10 lbs 2-row - 57.2%
2lbs Munich (buy this) - 11.4%
1lb Caramel 40 (buy this) - 5.7%
13 oz. Belgian Biscuit Malt - 4.7%
9 oz. Belgian Special B - 3.2%
18 oz. Simpson Chocolate - 6.4%
16 oz. Briess Carapils - 4.7%
5 oz. Crisp Brown Malt - 1.8%
10.5 oz. Flaked Wheat - 3.8%

There are some slight difference (like the brown malt vs biscuit) but overall they are pretty similar. Make sure to add the bourbon and vanilla!

I tend to buy in bulk and end up with a large accumulation of odds and ends so every spring we toss whatever is left in the pot as kind of a kitchen sink brew.

We have had some odd concoctions but so far nothing my buddies wouldn't drink. Of course these guys drink Bud Light and Michelob so cant really use them as a measure.

This year it is
9Lb 2 row
3lb german
1lb crystal
3lb Victory
2lb oatmeal
2lb Belgian Candi Sugar

Back